Easy to make quiche that’s full of smokey ham and melted cheese is a classic recipe for brunch yet, hearty enough for dinner. It’s also a great dish to share when you need to show someone a little love or to say thank you!
This is one of those recipes that I’ve probably made a hundred times. Now, that may seem like I’m laying it on a bit thick, but it’s the truth. I’ve not just made it for my family, I’ve made it for other people as well. There are times when friends have needed a meal because they’re dealing with the loss of a loved one, maybe a new baby has arrived or I just want to share a little love. This is my go-to dish during those times.
I often make this quiche when I want to say thank you to someone. It may be that they’ve shown an act of kindness to me or my family and I want to let them know how much it meant to me. I also use this dish as the foundation for a meal for teacher appreciation. Right now, we are winding down the school year, and if you’ve got kids or remember how crazy May is, then you know that our teachers need some TLC right about now. I love putting together a meal bag with this quiche, a beautiful salad, bread and dessert for my son’s teachers. It’s one thing I can do to take the pressure off after a hard days work and to say thank you, for a job well done.
When I pull together my “thank you meal,” that includes this ham and cheese quiche or maybe my bacon cheddar quiche, I start with a store bought, deep dish pie crust. It makes my life easier and it takes the pressure off the recipient since they don’t have to return a serving dish back to me. I make sure that all of my packaging can either be disposed of or recycled because I want folks to sit back and enjoy their meal…that’s all. This recipe is simple and easy to make, so, even if you’re not an experience cook, you can still pull off this recipe like a pro. Sharing something homemade is a beautiful way to let others know how much they mean to you and it’s better than anything you can buy in a store.
- 1 9 inch deep dish pie crust
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- 1 1/2 cups ham - diced
- 2 cups gouda cheese - shredded (can use Swiss)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg - optional
- fresh herbs for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place pie crust on a baking sheet and set aside. In a medium size bowl, whisk eggs, half & half together. Add in ham, cheese, salt and pepper along with the nutmeg. Mix together. Gently pour into pie shell making sure ham and cheese is evenly distributed. Place in oven to cook for 25 minutes.
- Check quiche at 25 minute mark and check for doneness. Cook for an additional 5 minutes if needed. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.