This post may contain affiliate links.
This outrageously delicious combination of ham, jam, and a smear of cheesy spread makes an irresistible sandwich! A Ham Jam Sandwich is perfect for lunch or a picnic, and is terrific for dinner when you want something special but don’t feel like cooking.
Where has this Ham Jam Sandwich recipe been all my life? That was the first thing that went through my head after the first bite. It’s salty, sweet, tangy, and buttery, with lots of different textures from tender ham and crunchy bread. This is not your average sandwich.
What’s the story of a Ham Jam Sandwich? Food & Wine‘s, 2007, best new chef, Gabriel Rucker, is the mastermind behind this fantastic sandwich. Who would believe that something made with 5 simple ingredients could be so good!
What Are The 4 Elements Of A Good Sandwich?
Believe it or not, there is a method to make a good sandwich:
- Good Bread – start with the best you can get. A good rule of thumb is to use bread that is good enough to eat on its own.
- The Best Condiments – not only do they add flavor, but they also protect the bread from getting soggy from other sandwich layers.
- Use Excellent Ingredients – Whether adding veggies, meat or cheese, use the best you can find, and can afford.
- Smart Layering – don’t just throw everything on the bread. Think about each layer’s texture, flavor, and temperature, then build your sandwich wisely.
How To Make A Ham Jam Sandwich
- Make a spread of goat cheese and butter.
- Slice a baguette lengthwise.
- Slather one side of the bread with the goat cheese/butter spread and the other with berry jam.
- Layer prosciutto on top of the spread, then place the two slices of bread together.
- Slice the sandwich into equal portions and serve.
5 Days of Fall Cooking: Southern Style!
FREE Email Bonus: Get ready for your tastiest fall ever
Often Asked Questions
Yes, it sure can. Make the sandwich, wrap it in wax paper, parchment, or plastic wrap, and store it in the fridge until it is ready to serve.
Traditionally, berry jam made with different berries is used. You can use grape, strawberry or even peach as well.
If you have additional spread, store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4–5 days. It’s great on a bagel or toast.
What To Serve With A Ham Jam Sandwich
- Classic Waldorf Salad
- Air Fryer Roasted Nuts
- Cucumber and Onion Refrigerator Pickles
- Fresh Tomato Salad
- Pesto Pasta Salad With Mozzarella and Tomatoes
- Blend goat cheese and butter until smooth using a food processor or a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Slice the baguette in half lengthwise. Spread goat cheese/butter mixture on one side of the bread, then layer with prosciutto. Spread berry jam on the other side of the bread and place on top of the prosciutto.
- Cut the sandwich into equal parts and serve.