Crisp apples, juicy grapes along with crunchy celery, and walnuts are tossed in a creamy dressing to make a classic recipe that’s super delicious! Waldorf Salad is a perfect side dish to serve any time of the year and is ideal for covered dish suppers, potlucks, or whenever you’re feeding a crowd.
It’s easy to call this recipe a classic since its history goes back over 100 years. It was created by the Maître d’hôtel (head waiter) at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York for a charity event and appears was an instant hit. It’s a simple, classic recipe that’s never gone out of style.
Waldorf Salad has been a favorite in my house since, well…forever. The boys grew up eating it and Mr. SS is a huge fan. I serve it at brunch, lunch, and supper time throughout the year.
Just like my Fruit Salad For A Crowd, or Grape Salad, Waldorf Salad is excellent to make for parties, the holidays, or a neighborhood gathering. It’s a refreshing make-ahead recipe that’s loaded with natural sweetness and crunchy texture.
What’s Goes Into Waldorf Salad?
- Red and Green Apples
- Red Seedless Grapes
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
How To Make This Recipe
Waldorf Salad is made in just minutes with very simple ingredients. All that’s required is a bit of chopping, measuring and mixing. Here’s how everything comes together:
- Chop the apples and toss in lemon juice and sugar. Next, slice the grapes in half and chop the celery. I like to toast the walnuts to bring out extra flavor but you can skip that step if you are short on time.
- In a small bowl, measure the ingredients for the dressing and whisk them together.
- Using a spatula, mix the ingredients then chill the salad in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Voila! You’ve just made Waldorf Salad.
When I make Waldorf Salad, I like to stick to my original recipe but there are some yummy variations you can make when you feel like changing things up a bit.
Waldorf Salad Add-Ins
- Rotisserie or leftover chicken is a great addition. Serve it on a bed of lettuce for lunch or a light supper.
- Substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
- For some additional sweetness, cranberries or golden raisins would be great.
- If you’re not a fan of walnuts, change them out for pecans or toasted almonds.
More Craveable Salads
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- 2 cups red and green apples (1 of each apple) chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a small skillet over medium heat, heat walnuts until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool then chop to the desired size.
- Place chopped apples into a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar. Add the sliced grapes, chopped celery, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and sour cream. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently mix until combined. Cover bowl with lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill until ready to serve.
Don’t Forget To Pin To Your Favorite Pinterest Board!
This post may contain affiliate links.