This post may contain affiliate links.
Thanks to the Instant Pot, this quick-cooking Mexican Rice is ready in no time! It has authentic flavors of that much-loved dish from your favorite Mexican restaurant with just the right amount of mild spice and a hint of tomatoes. It’s perfect to serve alongside any Mexican dish and will be a hit at your next gathering or fiesta!
Ever since I got an Instant Pot I’ve come to know one thing for sure. It’s the BEST way to cook rice. It’s simple, quick and the rice turns out perfectly every single time. My recipe for Garlic and Herb Rice quickly became a family and reader favorite recipe. Since I had so much success with that dish, I decided to branch out and try a new flavor combination.
Mexican Rice was an obvious choice. I always order it at our local Latin restaurant and love the mild spice flavor along with just the right amount of tomato sauce cooked in. After just one try at making this “new to me” recipe, I was smitten. It’s a great side dish for a weeknight meal since it’s made in one pot in less than 20 minutes. It’s also perfect to serve at a cookout, party, and so good with tacos, chips, and salsa.
What Goes Into Instant Pot Mexican Rice?
- Long-grain White Rice
- Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Chili Powder
- Tomato Sauce
How To Make Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Set the Instant Pot on “saute.” Add the onions, then the garlic, and cook until the garlic is golden.
- Add the rinsed rice and saute for approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste then stir.
- Pour in tomato sauce but do not stir.
- Lock the lid in place, setting the valve to the “sealing” position. Select RICE setting.
- When the cooking time ends, “quick release” the steam. Carefully remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Need a few ideas on what to serve with this dish? Try these yummy recipes:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Instant Pot Ultimate Pulled Pork Nachos
- Sweet Heat BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Pineapple Skewers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups rice
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place rice in a strainer and rinse under running water until water runs clear, 3-4 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add the olive oil and onions and cook until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in rice and saute for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken stock then add cumin, chili powder, salt and, pepper. Stir. Pour in tomato sauce but do not stir.
- Secure lid on the pot. Select RICE button (it will set to 12 minutes) and close the steam valve.
- Once the timer goes off, do a quick-release on the steam valve. Carefully, remove lid and fluff rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.
Want To Know More About Using The Instant Pot?
If you are new to cooking with an Instant Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Instant Pot like a pro!