Shredded chicken that’s been cooked low and slow in the crock pot, flavored with taco seasoning and salsa is great for tacos, nachos, burrito bowls and salads. This easy to make, versatile recipe will quickly become your go-to when it’s time to serve up your favorite Mexican dishes!
I am always on the lookout for recipes that save me time in the kitchen. I also want my food to be full of great flavor. Well, it looks like I hit the mother load when I discovered this Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken. It’s tender, juicy and has all the warm spices that I’ve grown to love in traditional Mexican food. It only takes three ingredients to make this dish and it’s cooked in the crock pot! One of the best things is, it’s one of those “best ever” recipes that can be used in so many other wonderful dishes. At this point, I’ve served it up three different ways and my list of ideas just keeps growing!
I first made this dish a couple of weeks ago. I’d gotten a call from my high school son asking if I minded if a few of his friends could come to dinner. Now, I do have to brag a bit because he did make his request in the morning which gave me plenty of time to whip something up. Of course, I said “sure, come on” and then started getting a game plan together. Luckily, I had all the ingredients on hand to make Shredded Mexican Chicken. I dumped the three ingredients into the slow cooker, set the cook timer then moved on. After a few hours, the chicken was done. I must say, I was tickled pink at how incredible it tasted since I’d used just three ingredients and was eager to serve it up to my dinner guests.
When it came time to eat, I set up a taco bar so the kids could load their tortillas with all their favorite toppings. I served it with my homemade Five Minute Salsa, Layered Mexican Dip with fresh Pico De Gallo and Fruit Salad. By far, the star of the meal was the chicken and everyone raved about how good it was. This is now, my new, most favorite, crock pot recipe especially since it’s received the seal of approval from 6 hungry teenagers!
A few recipe notes:
- Use in tacos, nachos, burrito bowls, taco salads and casseroles.
- The chicken can be made ahead and frozen for use at a later time.
- Use whatever heat level of salsa you like. Change things up with fire roast tomatoes or Chipolte flavored for extra spice.
- I shredded the chicken right in the slow cooker using two forks. No need to dirty an extra bowl or plate!
Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican ChickenPrint Pin Rate
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups jarred Salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Pour salsa over chicken and sprinkle on taco seasoning. Cover with lid and set crock pot to low and cook for 5 hours. ***I recommend cooking on low so that the chicken does not get dried out.
- When chicken is done, remove some of the juices using a ladle and reserve. Shred chicken using two forks. Mix with remaining juice. Add in reserved juice if desired.
PIN this recipe HERE to save!
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Price: $10.00Was: $14.50