There’s just something special about grilled foods. Whether it’s meats, veggies or fruit, the smokey flavor that grilling brings always adds extra flavor. This past weekend, I fired up the grilled and tried out a new recipe – marinated chicken and pineapple skewers.
I didn’t try to get too fancy with my ingredients or with my marinade. That thought process proved to be a winner! Here’s how it all came together ~ I loaded up my marinade with savory flavors, cut my chicken and placed them both into a zip top back to hang out together in the fridge. While that was happening, I cut up a fresh pineapple into chunks and set them aside. After about an hour, I removed the chicken from the fridge and started threading the chicken and pineapple onto the skewers. Last but not least, I grilled my lovely creation. I’d saved about 1/4 cup of my marinade which I brushed on the skewers right at the end of the cooking process. They only take about 10 to 15 minutes to cook which gives you time to pour something cold to drink. I served my skewers with zesty, lime rice and a green salad. What a way to kick off grilling season!
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 to 3 drops of toasted sesame seed oil - optional
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into approximately 2" chunks
- 1 whole fresh pineapple - cut into 2" chunks
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken chunks in a gallon size zip top bag. Add marinade, reserving 1/4 cup. Place in fridge for approximately 1 hour.
- If using wooden skewers - soak in water placed in a shallow dish for 30 minutes.
- Skewer chicken then pineapple chunk onto skewers and set aside. Heat grill to medium high heat. Rub grill grate with vegetable oil or spray with grill cooking spray.
- Place chicken skewers on grill and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Brush on reserved marinade and turn skewers. Brush on any remaining marinade and continue to cook until chicken is done.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Want to save this recipe? Save it to your Pinterest Board with this easy PIN ~