This Asian inspired Ramen Broccoli Slaw is packed with amazing flavor from crunchy broccoli, carrots, green onion, toasted Ramen noodles and sesame seeds. A sweet and savory, totally addictive dressing brings everything together for a side dish that’s a favorite at pot lucks, covered dish suppers and is ideal for a weeknight meal!
If you’ve been following A Southern Soul for very long, you know that I have a strong affinity for slaw recipes. I’m not really sure why I like them so much. Maybe it’s because most have a mix of flavors that are sweet and savory along with lots of texture from different ingredients. I think I’m also draw to them because they’re easy to make yet make a beautiful presentation when you serve them. Or may it’s just that they’re delicious…plain and simple.
Ramen Broccoli Slaw is a recipe that’s been on repeat all summer long in my house. I’ve made it as a side dish to serve with grilled fish and had it for lunch with little roasted chicken tossed in. It’s one of my go-to take along dishes when I’m heading out to a covered dish supper and when it comes to feeding a crowd, this slaw is always a hit.
The thing that makes this salad so good is the crazy crunch factor that Ramen noodles give it. The secret about this “collage food” ingredient, is that I toast them to bring out a nutty flavor. When making this recipe, you can’t skip this step. The toasted noodles, mixed with crunchy veggies is the perfect match up but then when they’re drizzled with the homemade Asian dressing, you’ve got a flavor bomb in every single bite!
What you’ll need to make Ramen Broccoli Slaw:
- packaged broccoli slaw mix
- dry Ramen noodles
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- vegetable oil
- rice wine vinegar
- soy sauce
- toasted sesame oil
How to make Ramen Broccoli Slaw
Start out by breaking up the dry Ramen noodles, placing them on a sheet pan and toast them for 10 minutes, then let cool. Toast the sesame seeds in a small pan over medium high heat and let cool. Add the broccoli slaw mix and chopped onions to a bowl.
In a separate bowl or jar with a lid, add all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk or shake until combined. Pour the dressing over the salad, leaving the toasted noodles and seeds out. Cover and refrigerate for two hours, allowing the veggies to marinate. Add in the toasted Ramen noodle and sesame seeds, toss everything together and serve.
Helpful notes when making this slaw:
- Throw away the flavor packet that comes with the Ramen noodles. It’s loaded with sodium and other additives that you don’t want in your dish.
- Do NOT skip toasting the noodles. This is a major benefit to the flavor of the slaw and you don’t want to miss it.
- Can you substitute other nuts for the sesame seeds? Sure! Slivered almonds are a great choice.
- If you’re taking the salad to a gathering, you can make it ahead of time and add the noodles right before serving. That way, you get the crunch factor!
- Turn this slaw into a main dish by adding grilled chicken, shrimp, pork or steak.
Want more slaw recipes? Try these:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Crush Ramen noodles and place on a baking sheet. Discard flavor packet. Toast noodles for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place sesame seeds in a small skillet. Toast until golden brown over a medium heat. Let cool.
- In a small bowl or jar with lid, add vegetable oil, sugar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and salt. Whisk or shake to blend dressing.
- Add broccoli mix and green onions to a medium size bowl. Pour ¾ of dressing and toss. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for two hours. After slaw has chilled, remove from fridge. Add toasted Ramen noodles and sesame seeds and remaining dressing. Toss together and serve.