Homemade dressing is always the BEST way to show off fresh greens. This Classic 1000 Island Dressing, made in less than ten minutes, is creamy, tangy with a hint of sweetness and is not only wonderful on salads but also on burgers, sandwiches and as a dip!
This dressing has been a staple in my kitchen for years. I use it to dress my greens, of course, but it has so many other uses. It’s a must on my Slow Cooker Corned Beef Reubens and when grilling season starts, it’s the perfect topping for a juicy burger. It’s shown up at many a party as a dip with carrot and celery sticks, too. My personal favorite way to enjoy this yummy dressing is just to dunk a few pretzels in that creamy goodness. Now, the secret is out!
I call my recipe a “classic,” mostly because I’ve been making it for so long. It’s original name 1000 Island Dressing, has graced many a restaurant’s menu but you might also know it as “special sauce” or “secret sauce.” As far as the history of the recipe, it appears it was introduced in the early 1900’s. Not that any of this matters in the long run, it’s just kind of fun to know a bit about this yummy concoction since it’s just so stinking good!
I am not kidding when I say this dressing goes well with so many other dishes. Once you make it you’ll know what I mean. Just let your imagine go wild…and grab some pretzels while you’re at it!
Other great recipes to serve with 1000 Island Dressing:
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef Reuben Sliders
- Salad For A Crowd
- Oven Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Baked Salami Chips
- Loaded Tater Tot Bites
- Roast Beef & Cheese Sandwiches
Classic 1000 Island Dressing
- 2 cups mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 heaping tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, lemon juice, grated onion to a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Can be stored in refrigerator in sealed container for up to one week.
Pin this recipe HERE to save!