Stromboli – that warm, meat and cheese Italian turnover, gently dipped into a homemade sauce is one beautiful slice of comfort food. Everyone in our family loves, and I mean LOVES, Stromboli.
I am always drawn to recipes that can be changed up so that my family and friends can enjoy something they really like which makes this one a winner. My traditional recipe combines Italian sausage, cheese, and pepperoni but there are multiple ways of changing this up.
Just pick out all your favorite meats, cheeses, and a few extras.
then roll out the dough and pop it in the oven.
Make a little sauce, then in less than an hour, you’ve got a wonderful meal to share with your family.
By the way…you can make a couple of different versions, keep cool in the fridge till time to bake then serve for game day or casual entertaining!
If you make this recipe, let me know!
You can rate it below, leave me a comment or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul.
Sausage & Pepperoni Stromboli
Sausage & pepperoni is delicious combination of meat and cheese everyone loves.Print Rate
- 1 ball or roll of pizza dough (homemade is great but I used store-bought)
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 package sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Cook Italian sausage in a medium skillet until browned. Drain on paper towels and crumble into small pieces.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a baking pan and lightly flour. Roll dough out to form a large rectangle.
- Brush a thin layer of pizza sauce on dough. Layer on crumbled sausage then mozzarella cheese.
- Place pepperoni slices on top of cheese then sprinkle with 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Gently roll in short sides of dough to form a seal around filling.
- Starting on long side of dough, carefully roll into one third of Stromboli. Using parchment, roll dough again until reaching opposite end. Pinch together and place seam side down.
- Mix egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush egg mixture over Stromboli and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and IMMEDIATELY TURN OVEN DOWN to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Test center of turnover. If dough is not completely cooked, slice Stromboli in half and bake for additional 5-8 minutes.
- Serve with warm pizza sauce