This post may contain affiliate links.
This Italian Sausage Pasta recipe is creamy, rich, and loaded with savory flavor! It’s a hearty one-pot meal that is easy to prepare and great for a weeknight or when you’ve got a lot of hungry folks to feed.
Creamy Sausage Pasta: Simple And Comforting
Here’s the question of the day: Is there anything more comforting than pasta in a creamy cheese sauce? While the answer may not be a resounding YES, it is one of my top 5 comfort food combos.
This is an easy main dish recipe you need in your life. It’s loaded with flavor, and downright delicious. Trust me, your family and friends will thank you for making it. It’s kind of like a big hug in the form of food, which I’ll never pass up.
In This Post You’ll Find:
- Creamy Sausage Pasta: Simple And Comforting
- Pin This Recipe
- Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- What Type Of Sausage Is Best For This Dish?
- How To Make Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
- Substitutions For This Recipe
- What To Serve Alongside Italian Sausage Pasta
- How Do I Reheat Creamy Pasta?
- Commonly Asked Questions
- 5 Easy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Italian Sausage – I like to use sweet ground sausage.
- Olive Oil
- Onion – white or yellow onion
- Half and Half
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic Cloves
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Spinach
- Italian Seasoning
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Rigatoni Pasta – penne pasta or bowties can also be used.
What Type Of Sausage Is Best For This Dish?
This is where you can get creative! There are several different types of sausage that you can use. I prefer ground sweet Italian sausage. You can find it in the pork section at the meat counter in the grocery store. Here are a few other options you might want to think about:
- Spicy or hot Italian sausage
- Chicken sausage
- Breakfast pork sausage
- Chorizo – make sure to remove the sausage from its casing before cooking for this recipe.
How To Make Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta
This easy-to-make recipe comes together in about 30 minutes in just one pot.
- Cook the pasta according to the box directions, drain, and set aside. Drain the petite diced tomatoes.
- Cook the sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove the sausage mixture to a plate.
- Add the fresh garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Make the white sauce and allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add in the red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, chopped tomatoes, and fresh spinach. Cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Add in the sausage and onions, along with the pasta noodles. Stir, and cook on low for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and a little fresh parsley, and your pasta dish is ready!
Substitutions For This Recipe
- Dairy substitutions are easy. You can use heavy cream or milk if needed.
- For extra richness, add 4 ounces of cream cheese.
- Add more veggies like red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, or asparagus for crunch and texture.
What To Serve Alongside Italian Sausage Pasta
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How Do I Reheat Creamy Pasta?
I like to reheat leftovers either in the microwave or on the stovetop. To keep the tender pasta from sticking together, add a little milk or water, stir, then heat.
Commonly Asked Questions
Absolutely! While penne, fettuccine, and rigatoni are commonly used for creamy Italian sausage pasta, you can use any pasta shape you like. Spaghetti, farfalle (bowtie pasta), or shells are great alternatives. Choose a shape that holds the sauce well and complements the other ingredients.
Yes, you can use different types of sausage based on your preference. Italian sausage is traditionally used in creamy Italian sausage pasta, but you can experiment with other types, such as chicken sausage, turkey sausage, or even vegetarian sausage, for a different twist. You can also add ground beef.
5 Easy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Easy Baked Spaghetti
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Creamy Baked Fettuccine
- Italian Sausage Ravioli Casserole
- 8 ounces Rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet ground Italian sausage
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups Half and Half
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite dices tomatoes – drained
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the box directions, drain and set aside. Drain the petite diced tomatoes.
- Cook the sausage and onion in a large skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Remove the sausage mixture to a plate then, add the fresh garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Make the white sauce by adding the Half and Half, chicken stock, and Parmesan cheese to the garlic. Stir and turn the heat down to low, allowing the sauce to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, salt, Italian seasoning, chopped tomatoes, and fresh spinach. Cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Add in the sausage and onions, along with the pasta noodles. Stir, and cook on low for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and a little fresh parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.