Pineapple Casserole is a classic, Southern dish, that’s sweet, savory, and has a buttery topping that makes it totally addictive! Served as a side dish for the holidays or as a dessert, this surprising recipe brings together contrasting flavors and textures, making it incredibly delicious.
If you’ve never had Pineapple Casserole, you might be rolling your eyes at the thought of such a concoction. Actually, I wouldn’t blame you since it seems strange that someone would want to make a casserole from pineapple.
The real goodness of Southern Pineapple Casserole lies in its amazing blend of sweet and savory flavors, the creamy cheese, along with the satisfying crunch of the cracker topping. If that’s not enough, it’s also very simple to prepare. All of that wrapped up with a sense of nostalgia and tradition, makes a very special dish that I Iove serving to my family and friends.
Table of contents
What’s In Baked Pineapple Cheese Casserole?
What makes this pineapple casserole recipe such an unexpected delight is the addition of creamy, gooey cheese. I know, again, who’d think to bake pineapple and cheese together but trust me, it works! Of course, the crowning glory of this lovely undertaking is a layer of buttery crackers.
- Canned Pineapple – crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits can be used. You’ll use the drained pineapple but save the juice.
- Granulated Sugar
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – grate it yourself for the best flavor and texture.
- Ritz Crackers – any brand of butter cracker works.
- All Purpose Flour and Butter
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and measurements.
Tips For Making The Best Pineapple Casserole
- Grate the cheddar cheese yourself for the best flavor and texture. Pre-shredded cheese has an anti-clumping coating that hampers the cheese from melting.
- Drain pineapple chunks using a strainer, and make sure to reserve the juice. You’ll need the reserved pineapple juice for the recipe.
- Make cracker crumbs by placing the Ritz crackers in a ziptop bag and breaking them up with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon.
- To save on dirtying another bowl, pour the melted butter into the bag with the cracker crumbs, and massage until the crackers are coated to make the topping.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, store the baking dish or container covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place in a microwave-safe dish and heat until warmed through.
What To Serve With Pineapple Casserole
You see, when you make a dish like Pineapple Casserole, it’s all about what you serve it with. This recipe, which is so simple to make, is most often seen on tables during Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- Brown Sugar Mustard Baked Ham
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Copycat Honey Baked Ham
- Best Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Crock Pot Turkey Breast
- Simple Delicious Oven Roasted Turkey
More Pineapple Recipes You’ll Love!
If you tried this Southern Pineapple Casserole Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
Recipe Card With Instructions
- 2 20 oz cans pineapple chunks – drained with ¼ cup juice reserved
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese – shredded
- 2 cups (about 40 crackers) Ritz crackers – crushed
- ½ cup butter – melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size bowl, combine pineapple, sugar, flour, cheese and reserved juice. Mix together and pour into an 8×8 casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix together crackers and butter. Sprinkle evenly over pineapple mixture. Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until top of casserole is golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, store the baking dish or container covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place in a microwave-safe dish and heat until warmed through.