Crock Pot Sweet And Sour Pork has a bright burst of flavor from fresh pineapple, along with a savory sauce that’s crazy delicious. It’s perfect for a weeknight, a family meal, or when entertaining guests!
Pin This Recipe For Later
Sometimes, you just want to hang out at home, watching your favorite show wrapped in a fluffy blanket and let the world spin on by. Those times also bring on the urge to eat yummy comfort food. There’s almost nothing as comforting as a home-cooked meal, and when you can make something delicious with very little effort, like this crock pot sweet & sour pork loin with pineapple, well, I’m all in.
My recipe for Sweet And Sour Pineapple Pork has amazing flavor from a brown sugar, apple cider sauce, along with fresh pineapple and caramelized onions. There is very little cooking involved because once you sear the pork and caramelize the onions, all you do is add in the remaining ingredients and let the slow cooker do all the work.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Pork Loin – other cuts of pork can be used, such as pork tenderloin or pork shoulder.
- Fresh Pineapple – canned pineapple can also be used if needed.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soy Sauce – I recommend low-sodium soy sauce.
- Brown Sugar
- Minced Garlic
- Kosher Salt
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Corn Starch
Pin This Recipe For Later
Tips For Making The Best Sweet And Sour Crock Pot Pork
- Don’t forget to thicken the sauce. Make a slurry by combining two teaspoons of cornstarch with two teaspoons of cold water. Stir the slurry into the sauce after removing the pork roast. Once thickened, slice the pork, then pour over the yummy sauce.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook this recipe in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pork loin, onions, and pineapple in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over the pork loin. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 2-2 ½ hours, or until the pork loin is cooked through and tender.
Variations And Substitutions For This Recipe
Sweet and sour pork cooked low and slow lends itself to quite a few delicious ingredient variations. Here are a few ideas:
- Add vegetables to the slow cooker, such as sliced green and red bell peppers, carrots, or celery.
- Add some ginger or garlic cloves to the sauce for extra flavor.
- Change out the brown sugar for molasses or maple syrup.
- Use a different type of vinegar, such as rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar.
Common Questions With Answers
Yes, you can use a different type of pork, such as pork shoulder or pork tenderloin. However, the cooking time may need to be adjusted. Check the pork with an instant-read thermometer, which should read 145 degrees when done.
Peaches, mangos, and cherries are all great options. Just know that the level of sweetness will change depending on what fruit you use.
Sure! If you are not a fan of spice, just omit the red pepper flakes.
What To Serve With Sweet And Sour Pineapple Pork
This slow cooker sweet and sour pork recipe really is an all-star main dish. It can be served in so many different ways on just about any occasion.
More Of My Favorite Crock Pot Recipes
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!
- 1 – 3 pound pork loin roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion – sliced
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh chunk pineapple
- Slurry thickener – 2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 2 teaspoons cold water
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or heavy bottom skillet. Salt and pepper all sides of pork roast and sear in skillet. Remove and place in crock pot. Sear onions in hot pan until slightly browned. Place onions in crock pot with pork loin.
- In a medium size bowl, mix apple cider, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, garlic, salt and red pepper. Pour over roast. Place pineapple chunks around pork and cover with lid. Cook on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 7.
- When done, remove pork and pineapple from the slow cooker and place them on serving platter. Turn the slow cooker on high, add the cornstarch slurry, and stir to mix well. As the mixture starts to bubble, keep stirring until the desired thickness is achieved. Spoon gravy over pork loin and serve.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook this recipe in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the pork loin, onions, and pineapple in a baking dish. Pour the sauce over the pork loin. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 2-2 ½ hours or until the pork loin is cooked through and tender.
This post was originally posted in January, 2017 and updates in May, 2023.