Ambrosia Salad is a classic recipe that’s hard to resist. Make with pineapple, cherries, oranges, coconut, pecans and grapes all wrapped up in fresh whipped cream and marshmallows, is a fruit salad that dreams are made of!
If you’re from the South, then you know about Ambrosia Salad. It’s one of those dishes that you’d always find on the table at Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. It was also a “must-have” for any covered dish supper at church or a family get together. Ambrosia, as it’s called, (you can drop the salad part) is one of those old school recipes that brings back such fond memories that it was destined to make an appearance in my kitchen.
The first time I made Ambrosia for my family, I must say, I didn’t quite get the overjoyed reaction I was expecting. Actually, what I got was three sets of eyes staring at me with “what in the world is that” kind of look. Then came the questions about what was in Ambrosia and why would I put marshmallows in a salad. Now, I need to say that until that day, several years ago, Mr. A Southern Soul had never even heard of this southern classic dish much less tasted it. That’s when I had to do a little “schooling” so that my fellas could understand just how special Ambrosia is!
It didn’t take me long to convenience them to give it a taste and that’s when I knew I had ’em. After a few bites along with several oohs and ahhs, my sweet husband and my sons finally understood why I had to have them love Ambrosia as much as I do. It just tradition, as simple as that.
How To Make Ambrosia Salad
It only takes a few ingredients to make Ambrosia. Canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, and cherries are drained and set aside for about an hour to make sure all the juice is drained and the fruit dries out a bit. While that’s happening, the grapes are cut in half and the pecans are roughly chopped. For my salad, I like using fresh whipped cream which is super easy to make (you can substituent with whipped topping) with heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Once the fruit is ready, just mix in a bit of sour cream to the fluffy, whipped cream. Next, add in the coconut and marshmallows. Then, add in the fruit and nuts and you’ve got Ambrosia Salad!
More Great Salads With Fruit
- Fruit Salad For A Crowd
- Cranberry Pecan Slaw
- Sunshine Fruit Salad
- Spinach & Fresh Fruit Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- 1 20 oz can pineapple chunks
- 1 15 oz can Mandarin oranges
- 1 cup Maraschino cherries
- 1 cup green grapes - halved
- 1 cup pecans - chopped
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1.2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Place pineapple chunks and oranges in a strainer and set aside, approximately 45 minutes to drain. Drain cherries, rinse in cold water and set aside with other fruit to drain.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, whip heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in half of sour cream until mixed then add remaining being careful not to deflate whipped cream. Add coconut and marshmallow to mixture and stir gently.
- Add in fruit and nuts, stirring to incorporate. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Pin this recipe HERE to save!
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Price: Out of stock
Price: Out of stock
Price: $12.99Was: $22.00