You know this salad, right? You’ve seen it on countless covered dish supper tables, at church luncheons, holiday buffets and at picnics. Broccoli salad has been around for ages, well, the recipe has and most everyone I know makes it. This dish is easy to make, keeps in the fridge for several days and if you are a broccoli lover, this bowl of crunchy goodness is a no brainer.
I am no exception when it comes to making broccoli salad with just a couple of exceptions. I’ve changed up the ingredients to make it just a little bit fresher in taste. I’ve taken out the traditional ingredients of bacon and cranberries substituting them with fresh gala apple and sliced almonds.
The dressing for all these yummy ingredients has my “go to ingredient” – lemon juice, to give a bright taste that goes so well with broccoli. I think there’s a reason this dish has stood the test of time – it takes less than 20 minutes to make, you can double the recipe to feed a crowd, it’s relativity inexpensive to make and most importantly, it’s delicious. It’s also one of those recipes that you can make ahead of serving time because the longer it sits, the better it gets.
Even though I don’t have a covered dish supper to attend, I do have supper to make, plus my neighbor, Mary, loves broccoli so, I’ve got two beautiful bowls of fresh broccoli apple salad sitting in my fridge just waiting to be enjoyed. Here’s to an old school recipe that now has a new flavor twist to make broccoli lovers happy for years to come.
- Broccoli Apple SaladPrep Time15 mins
Fresh broccoli, apples, cheese and a light, bright dressing made into one awesome salad. There's a reason why this broccoli salad is a favorite at covered dish suppers and holiday celebrations!Course: Salad, Side DishCuisine: AmericanServings: 4Ingredients
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups apple - thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup red onion - diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese - shredded
- 3/4 cup almonds - sliced
- 1 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1 lemon - juiced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Place broccoli, apple slices, onion, cheese and almonds in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl or mason jar with lid, add mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix together (or shake) until well blended.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss, making sure to coat well.
- Can be served immediately or stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.