This post may contain affiliate links.
Warm, flaky Apple Strudel is delicious for breakfast, brunch, an afternoon snack, or even dessert! Apples tossed in brown sugar and spices are wrapped in beautiful puffed pastry, then baked to perfection. Serve with a dusting of sweet powdered sugar for an incredible treat that’s ideal for fall.
Those of you who read A Southern Soul know that when I post a recipe, most of the time, I share a little story. You always seem to like that about me, and that makes me really happy.
Today, there’s not really a story. I don’t have one because this recipe is just straight up, no kidding, fantastic. Apples, brown sugar, a few spices all wrapped in puffed pastry. Yep, that’s pretty much it.
This Apple Strudel is a stand alone recipe, it honestly doesn’t need much advertising or selling, it’s just no-joke stinking delicious! With a crispy, flakey pastry exterior and sweet, warm filling, this recipe is packed with incredible flavors the whole family will love.
Ingredients Needed To Make Apple Strudel
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Puffed pastry
How To Make Apple Strudel
I used granny smith and honey crisp apples to give a good balance to the filling. I did have fun peeling the apples using my handy, dandy apple contraption. It made easy, neat work of this sometimes frustrating job.
Next, came making the sugar blend. Once you mix all the ingredients together, it’s best to let it sit for about 15 minutes so that the sugar sort of melts onto the apples. Then, you just roll out the puffed pastry, fill it up, roll it up in a bundle, and bake.
People Often Ask…
Place the Apple Strudels on a baking pan and place them in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until crust and golden brown.
More Apple Recipes To Make
- Apple Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread
- Apple Cider Mimosas
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Crock Pot Applesauce
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
- 1 granny smith apple – peeled and chopped
- 1 honey crisp apple – peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 sheets thawed puffed pastry
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt. Toss together coating apples with dry ingredients. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out each puffed pastry into a large rectangle.
- Combine brown and white sugar with bread crumbs. Divide mixture in half and sprinkle down the center of each pastry.
- Place half of apple mixture in the center of each pastry on top of sugar blend.
- Gently fold long edge of pastry over apples then roll to close the bundle. Pinch edge and ends to seal.
- Place apple bundles on lined sheet tray. Mix egg and water together then brush over pastry. With a sharp knife, cut slits in strudel to allow ventilation.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until crust and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a baking rack. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.