This post may contain affiliate links.
My recipe for Everyday Green Salad is fresh, simple, and quick! It’s made in about 5 minutes with my homemade vinaigrette and goes with just almost everything. What a delicious way to get more greens into your life.
I have lost count of the number of times I’ve made this salad. Years ago, it became a staple on my dinner table. It’s fresh, delicious, and can be made for just me, or me and Mr. SS, or for a bunch of folks crowed around the supper table.
Even though this salad is the ultimate go-to in my recipe box, my family has never grown tired of it. The main reason is there are endless ways to customize it. Sometimes, it shows up as a fantastic side dish, and then other times, I turn it into the main dish.
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
- Lettuces – spinach, butter (Bibb) lettuce, spring mix, romaine, and iceberg are all good choices
- Red Onion
- My Favorite Vinaigrette
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
How To Make This Easy Salad Recipe
- Wash all the lettuce, then dry it with paper towels or use a salad spinner.
- Rinse and dry the tomatoes, then quarter. Peel and slice the onion.
- Toss all the ingredients into a salad bowl and sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the dressing and drizzle it sparingly over the greens. Toss, taste, and add more dressing if you want.
For the BEST salad, season all the ingredients with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper BEFORE drizzling on the dressing.
What’s Good In A Green Salad? Mix-In Ideas
Grilled chicken, steak, or pork tenderloin are tossed great in this salad. I’ve also added tuna and shrimp, turning the salad into a main meal.
Blue cheese, Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Cheddar are some of my favorite cheeses to add to this salad. You can give the salad a spicy kick with Pepper Jack cheese or a Mediterranean vibe with marinated mozzarella.
It’s easy to go crazy adding veggies to this simple salad! Toss in peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, celery, or whatever you like.
Raspberries and strawberries make a great addition to the fresh greens and bright dressing. I also love adding in nuts like roasted pecans or almonds.
What Kind Of Salad Dressings Are Good With Everyday Green Salad?
This salad is the perfect backdrop for so many homemade dressings. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Greek Salad Dressing
- Classic Thousand Island Dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Easy Blue Cheese Dressing
- Garlic And Herb Tahini Dressing
What To Serve With Everyday Green Salad
This list of what to serve with this salad could stretch a mile long! It goes with practically everything.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Green Salad For A Crowd
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Green Bean Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Pear and Spinach Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Easy Everyday Green Salad
- 5-6 ounces mixture of spinach, butter lettuce or spring mix (use any lettuce that you like)
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
My Favorite Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup vinegar – I use either champagne or balsamic
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Rinse and dry lettuce. Add, along with the tomatoes and onions to a large bowl. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
My Favorite Vinaigrette
- In a medium bowl, or to a small jar with a lid, add vinegar, salt, mustard, honey and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk ingredients together until blended.
- Slowly add the oil in a stream while whisking until an emulsion forms – the color of the vinaigrette will change to a golden yellow. If using a jar, add the oil, place the lid on and shake. Taste and adjust the seasoning, including the oil and vinegar.
- Lightly drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss. Taste and add more dressing if desired.