This post may contain affiliate links.
Cabbage is one of those vegetable you either love or hate, but reserve your judgement until after you try this recipe! Roasted Cabbage brings out an incredible flavor in your soup, it’s fresh, fast, and perfect for a rainy day. This recipe is simple, comforting, and perfect for any time of year!
So, for about a month, I schemed and tested different versions of this soup to come up with what would end up being the best cabbage soup ever. Finally, I did it, well, at least in my opinion.
With my new creation complete, I was off to change a few minds about cabbage. I secretly selected a couple of friends to taste my soup. One of my buddies responded she’d love to help but wasn’t feeling too good, she had a cold. This was just what I needed to hear since all of the ingredients in this soup are full of vitamins and tend to help heal a tired, sick body. She tasted it and demanded the recipe for anytime her kids got sick!
The crazy glorious trick to making this soup so amazingly delicious, is roasting the cabbage before it goes into the soup pot. When you oven roast the cabbage first it brings out all those beautiful, natural flavors from the vegetable. It’s a light yet filling with the perfect combination of flavors, honestly I think it’s my favorite soup ever!
Ingredients For Roasted Cabbage Soup
- Head of cabbage – cut into 1″ rounds
- Olive oil
- Carrots – diced
- Onion – diced
- Red pepper flakes
- Dried thyme
- Vegetable stock
- Diced or crushed tomatoes – drained
- Red wine vinegar
More Delicious Soup Recipes…
- Healthy Mushroom Soup
- Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Easy One-Pot Lasagna Soup
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
Amazing Roasted Cabbage Soup
- 1 small head of cabbage cut into 1″ rounds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 carrots – diced
- 1 small onion – diced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 8 oz can small diced or crushed tomatoes – drained
- 4 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat oven to 415 degrees.
- Place cabbage rounds on a 9 X 11 inch sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Pour 1/4 cup olive oil in a small dish. Using a grater or micro plane, grate 2 cloves of garlic into olive oil. Brush or spoon garlic oil on each of cabbage rounds. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for approximately 20 minutes. When outside of rounds are dark brown and crisp, flip, spread with remaining olive oil. Return to oven and roast for another 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven to cool.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot on medium low heat. Add carrots and onions. Saute until onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes and thyme. Cook with onions and carrots for one minute. Add stock to pot. Stir to incorporate vegetables and herbs. Add tomatoes and stir.
- Cut cabbage rounds into large chunks (discard very dark edges) and add to stock pot. Drizzle in red wine vinegar. Bring soup up to a boil then reduce to a simmer uncovered for 20 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Serve soup with a dash of hot sauce or chopped chives.
- Can be frozen in ziptop bags.