For an easy weeknight meal or casual entertaining, Grilled Sausage With Peppers and Onions is always a hit. Mild or spicy Italian sausage and tender veggies are a classic combination that’s fantastic served with your favorite side dish or on crusty rolls.
During the summer months we grill out almost every night. There’s just something about food cooked over a flame that makes it extra yummy.
A dish that’s on constant repeat in my house is grilled sausages. Whether they are mild, sweet sausage, or with a spicy kick, I can guarantee that there will never be any leftovers. They are even better when they are served alongside tender grilled peppers and onions.
I love to serve Grilled Sausage With Peppers and Onions layered on top of Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits Casserole. The smokey flavor of the cheese is crazy good with the grilled veggies. Mr. SS’s favorite is to load up naan bread with sausage then top it with a cool crisp salad tossed in my homemade vinaigrette. The thing is, no matter how you serve this time-honored flavor-packed combination, it’s going to be delicious!
Grilled Sausage With Pepper and Onions is actually more of a “how-to” instead of a recipe. The steps are straightforward using good ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Your favorite kind of sausage. I use either mild or hot Italian sausage. We buy ours from a local shop that makes incredible homemade sausage.
- Different colors of bell peppers. I usually buy what’s on sale.
- I’m a really big fan of Vidalia onions so when they are in season, that’s what I use. If you can’t find them, yellow onions are also great.
- Add whatever kind of seasoning you like to the peppers and onions. Salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and a sprinkle of red pepper are my favorites. You could also add-in dried Italian season as well.
No Grill? No Problem!
This recipe is super easy, and you don’t need an outdoor grill to make it. Just grab a grill pan or a cast-iron skillet and you are in business.
You can also make foil packets using sausage, peppers, and onions. I cook Sausage and Potatoes in foil packs, and for great side dish Cheesy Ranch Potatoes Foil Packs are scrumptious plus clean up is a breeze.
More Easy Weeknight Meal Ideas
- Pizza Pasta Bake
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Taco Spaghetti Bake
- Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Greek Salad
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- 6 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 Vidalia or yellow onions
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place a grill pan on grill and allow to heat, approximately 5 minutes.
- While the grill is heating, core, and slice red and green peppers. Peel and slice the onions. Place the veggies in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place sausages on the hot grill pan. Cook sausages 2-3 minutes per side until slightly charred and cooked. Remove and place on a plate and tent with foil.
- Add peppers and onions to the grill pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes. Toss veggies when edges become charred. Remove from the grill pan.
- Serve sausage with peppers and onions with your favorite side dish or toasted rolls.
This post may contain affilate links.