Better than anything you can buy in the store, this Homemade Taco Seasoning can be mixed up in minutes! This easy, DIY recipe has deep, savory flavors perfect for tacos, and nachos, grilled meats, and chicken, rice, beans, or anytime you want a punch of flavor.
Making my own spice blends has become “a thing” for me. I love to take a traditional idea and give it my own special twist. Since I’ve made my own House Seasoning and Montreal Steak Blend, making my own version of Taco Seasoning seemed appropriate.
The thing I like best about homemade spice blends is that I get to customize the flavors. I like a bit of heat from a spice mix, so I add a little more pepper or chilie. If that’s not your thing, then just cut back on it. You get to make the recipe your own!
An unexpected benefit of whipping up a homemade spice blend is that you can make as much or as little as you want. Around here, I go through LOTS of taco seasoning which means by making a double or triple batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning, I’ve always got some at the ready.
What Spices Go Into Homemade Taco Seasoning?
- Chile Powder – a combination of amazing southwest flavors.
- Dried Oregano – mild and earthy.
- Smoked Paprika – here’s where the rich, deep flavor comes in. If the smokiness is not for you, feel free to substitute regular Paprika.
- Cumin – another wonderful earthy flavor.
- Garlic and Onion Power – they are the aromatics that are a must for this blend.
- Salt and Pepper – for balance.
I am not kidding when I say you can use this Taco Seasoning in lots, and lots of ways. I kind of wish it had another name because it’s certainly more than a taco seasoning! Here are just a few of the ways I use this amazing spice blend:
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup – one of the best recipes for an easy weeknight meal.
- I sprinkle it on chicken breasts, grill, slice, and layer onto cool, crisp salad greens and top with Avocado Salsa.
- Taco Spaghetti Bake – a favorite in my family. It’s a great dish for potlucks, covered dish suppers, or when you’re feeding a crowd.
- For an easy weeknight meal, I mix 1 pound of ground chicken or beef with three tablespoons of the seasoning and cook in a skillet. Then I place corn chips, cheese, black beans, and my seasoned meat on a baking pan then broil until hot and bubbly. I add salsa, sour cream, hot sauce, and a bit of green onion for the BEST nachos ever!
- Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken – super easy and budget-friendly.
How Long Will Homemade Taco Seasoning Last?
How Much Taco Seasoning Do I Use?
For every pound of meat, I use 3 tablespoons of Taco Seasoning. That’s about the equivalent of three little store-bought packets. If you are unsure about how much seasoning you might like, just start out with 2 tablespoons, then add more if you want.
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper – optional
This post may contain affiliate links.