Sausage And Cheese Bread is a quick bread recipe that combines the heartiness of sausage with the richness of cheddar cheese, creating a delicious and incredibly satisfying loaf of homemade goodness. It’s perfect for breakfast, a quick snack, or even as a side for your favorite meal.
Y’all, I’m gonna get straight to the point, here. My family LOVES this bread. I started making it when the boys were little, and it quickly became a favorite which then turned into a “classic Southern Soul recipe.” I love serving it with Crock Pot Potato Soup, and it’s terrific with Mediterranean Pasta Salad. You could say I have this recipe on speed dial!
What Makes This Delicious Bread So Special?
- Baked into a warm, fluffy loaf, it’s comfort food to the max
- This bread is incredibly versatile and is perfect to serve with any meal.
- There’s no kneading or lengthy rising times, making it a great recipe for beginner cooks.
- The crumbly sausage and melty cheese pockets create an irresistible texture that’s soft and tender.
Sausage Cheese Bread Ingredients
- The filling – I use shredded cheese (I recommend cheddar, but you can use shredded mozzarella cheese,) Parmesan, onion, and sausage.
- The basics – For the base of the bread, I use Bisquick baking mix, milk, an egg, and mayonnaise for moisture.
- The seasoning – salt, red pepper flakes, and hot sauce, give the bread its punch of flavor.
Variations and Additions
- For a veggie twist, add spinach, fresh parsley, basil, or rosemary to the sausage bread.
- Substitute hot sauce with 1 diced and de-seeded jalapeno to make jalapeno cheese bread.
- If you don’t have Bisquick, any similar baking mix will work.
- You can use turkey or chicken sausage for a lower-fat version of this quick bread.
- Add spicy cooked sausage, or Italian sausage for additional flavor.
How To Make Cheesy Sausage Quick Bread
- Preheat the oven and spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Saute the onions and sausage and then drain on a paper towel.
- Combine the eggs, cheeses, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Then mix in the baking mix, milk, and mayo. This helps ensure the sausage mixture is incorporated evenly into the bread dough.
- Bake the bread for 45-50 minutes until it’s golden brown, then let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Spray the loaf pan with cooking spray to keep the bread from sticking. You can also line it with parchment paper which is non-stick.
Questions And Answers For This Recipe
Breakfast sausage is my favorite but I do like to switch things up from time to time and use hot sausage.
Certainly, although this bread isn’t really spicy, you can leave out the hot sauce and the red pepper flakes if the heat is not for you.
Yes, this bread baked as muffins makes a great meal prep recipe for busy weeks. Simply bake for 20-25 minutes in a standard muffin tin lined or sprayed with non-stick spray.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or wrap them in aluminum foil for up to 4 days in the fridge.
My Favorite Quick Bread Recipes
Craving More? Try These Easy Southern Classics
If you tried this Sausage And Cheese Bread Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
- 1 lb . pork sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon Texas Pete hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups baking mix – Bisquick
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet and cook along with onion until brown. Drain on paper towels and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, cheese, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add baking mix, milk, and mayonnaise. Stir.
- To the mixture, add sausage & onions. Mix until just blended. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let rest in pan for 10 minutes. Turn it out to plate, slice and serve.
- This bread baked as muffins makes a great meal prep recipe for busy weeks. Simply bake for 20-25 minutes in a standard muffin tin lined or sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight or wrap them in aluminum foil for up to 4 days in the fridge.