When it’s time for salad, there is a clear winner for the dressing – homemade vinaigrette. It’s fast, easy and provides huge flavors that the store bought stuff just doesn’t compare to. We usually have some sort of salad for dinner at least 4 times a week and my youngest loves them for lunch which is why I had to figure out how to make it myself. Low cost with high rewards is what I was looking for and when I came up with this recipe, it was a good day in the kitchen! I make a double batch of dressing at the beginning of the week and keep it in a mason jar in the fridge till needed. It’s not only perfect on a green salad but also great on pasta, drizzled on fish or on sauteed veggies. So, just stock up on a few great vinegars buy some olive oil, a whisk and a mason jar…you won’t be sorry!
- In a medium bowl, add vinegar, salt, mustard, honey and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk ingredients until blended.
- Slowly add the oil in a stream while whisking until an emulsion forms – color of vinaigrette will change to a golden yellow.
- Taste and adjust seasoning including the oil and vinegar.
- Can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days – always bring to room temperature before using.
- My Tip~this dressing can be made by this method – whisking, which provides a very smooth emulsion. You can also add the ingredients into a jar and shake to blend the flavors. This will give you a dressing that is not as smooth but still very, very good.