I’ve decided that January should be called the “Salad Month.” Look, y’all know why – most of us ate too much over the holidays. We feel that little extra tightness in our clothes along with the slight feelings of guilt that creeps into our minds. All anybody sees on cooking shows or sites are recipes for salads because everyone is trying to help us get back to good eating habits. Well, I’m on the bandwagon too.
I’m excited about establishing new habits and eating healthier is on the list which means lots and lots of salads. The one thing that’s a MUST for me is a good salad dressing, that’s why 99% of the time, I make my own. I love to experiment with lots of sweet and savory flavors along with new, interesting ingredients. This week, my new favorite dressing is made with blueberries. It’s especially good on spinach and grilled chicken with a few sprinkles of pungent cheese.
This delightful, bright dressing is easy to make – just grab a mason jar, smash a cup of blueberries, pour your remaining ingredients in and shake. Boom! In no time, you’ve got a new dressing to help you and me stay on the road to happy, healthy eating.
Simple to make vinaigrette with a sweet flavor from fresh blueberries. Just what your fresh salad greens need!
- 1 cup "smashed" blueberries
- 1/4 cup champagne or balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place vinegar, honey and lemon juice in a sealable jar or container. Swirl ingredients to mix.
- In another bowl, pulse blueberries with a stick blender or put into a zip top bag and smash with rolling pen.
- Add blueberries and olive oil to the mason jar, screw on top and shake well to blend.
Check out these links for more great salads and dressings: