Apple Sausage Dressing is a delicious, easy to make recipe that’s perfect for the holidays. Baked with apples, sausage, herbs, spices and two kinds of bread, this stuffing is great with turkey or pork and ideal to serve with gravy at Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away and I’m just giddy with anticipation! It’s my very favorite holiday. Thanksgiving brings back so many wonderful memories of everyone gathered at my Grandmother’s house, tables brimming with incredible food and a house full of love and laughter.
This year, I’m hosting Thanksgiving and I’ll be cooking all the traditional recipes that make the holiday special. I’m also adding in a couple of new dishes (to keep my family on their toes) that I’m sure will become favorites in no time. I’m changing up my go-to baked stuffing recipe with Apple Sausage Dressing. I love the additional flavors of sweet apples and savory sausage to this dish. I can’t wait to serve a big helping of this dressing with a slice or two of juicy turkey and a generous pour of gravy. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
What Goes In Apple Sausage Dressing
- Pepperidge Farms Seasoned Bread Cubes
- Salt and Pepper
Cooking Tips for This Recipe
- Apple Sausage Dressing is baked and not stuffed into a turkey. Baking gives the top of the dressing a crispy topping with a soft center that pares beautifully with tender turkey and rich gravy.
- Make sure to cook the cornbread in advance giving it time to cool and dry out for at least an hour before making the dressing.
- Change up the flavor in the dressing by swapping out the apples for pears. You can also add cranberries, walnuts or pecans if desired.
- If pork sausage is not your thing, use turkey sausage. Follow the cooking directions and cook the sausage before adding it to the dressing ingredients.
- To help with meal prep, cook the sausage ahead of time. I also chop and sautee the celery, onion, and apples, storing them in the fridge until it’s time to pull the whole recipe together.
Want More Great Recipes To Serve On Thanksgiving? Check These Out!
- Brown Butter Butternut Squash
- Grape Salad
- Instant Pot Garlic and Herb Rice
- Sweet and Savory Crock Pot Ham
- Southern Pineapple Casserole
- Cranberry Pecan Slaw
- 6 cups seasoned bread cubes
- 1 8.5 ounce box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix - prepared and cooled
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 Granny Smith apples - chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg - whisked
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons butter - melted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter bottom of a 9x11 inch baking dish. Set aside
- In a medium-size skillet, cook sausage until done. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Add onion, celery, and apples to pan dripping and cook approximately 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, crumble cornbread into small pieces. Add seasoned bread cubes, cooked onions, celery, apples, and sausage. Mix together chicken stock, egg, and butter. Pour liquid mixture over all dry ingredients and mix together. Spoon into baking dish and cook in oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
*** Like this recipe and want to save it? Pin it HERE! ***