Crunchy granola puts a new spin on banana muffins. They’re soft and fluffy on the inside and have an added healthy benefit thanks to the addition of your favorite granola.
Over the past two weeks, I’ve made these muffins three times. The reason why? They are just that stinking good! The rational for making them in the first place was because I wanted something on the healthy side for my son to eat for breakfast. School had just started back and I knew he’d be on the go, so coming up with “portable food” was a necessity. I got all my ingredients together, whipped up a batch of these babies in no time and waited for my taste tester to arrive. I’m not really sure what happened after that except I got a nod, an “oh yeah” and then the muffins were gone.
Per request, I made a batch a second time. This go around, I made sure my yummy muffins made through more than one day! These Banana Granola Muffins are a great, grab and go breakfast. They are full of banana flavor with surprising texture from the granola. I made things easy on myself by using my favorite store bought granola and was thrilled at the outcome.
I ended up making a third batch of muffins over the weekend for the whole family to enjoy and I can tell you right now, they are the perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of coffee in the morning. We also enjoyed them as an afternoon snack and I’ve even packed them up to have while running errands on a busy afternoon.
If you love breakfast but need to “grab & go” most mornings, then you might like these recipes…
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted) - 1 stick
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ripe, mashed banana (2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granola - split into 1/2 portions
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup muffin pan by lining with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In a second, medium size bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, mashed bananas and sour cream mixing until well blended. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, gently mix in wet ingredients into dry until just blended. Stir in 1/2 cup of granola being careful not over stir.
- Using a scoop or large spoon, evenly divide the batter between the muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining granola on top of each muffin. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until muffins are golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in to middle of muffin comes out clean.
- Transfer to a rack to cool. Enjoy!