This easy to make salad combines fresh, crunchy broccoli and cauliflower with sweet cranberries and smoky bacon for a super delicious year-round side dish! It’s great served at a family meal, during the holidays, and perfect for covered dish suppers.
This recipe has become one of my number-one picks for a quick and easy salad. It combines a little bit of sweet and salty along with a whole lot of crunch. As an added benefit to this lighted up version of a veggie salad, it gets better the longer the ingredients get to marinate making it the perfect make-ahead dish.
What Makes This Salad So Good?
- it’s fresh
- comes together quickly with only 5 ingredients
- can be made ahead of time
- has a light creamy dressing with just the right amount of tanginess
- can be served as a side dish or makes a great meal on its own
What Goes Into Broccoli Cauliflower Salad?
- Green Onions
- Dried Cranberries
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
One of the things that makes this salad so good is the dressing. I’ve lightened it up by cutting the mayo in half and using sour cream for a balance of creamy texture. The addition of honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice give it just the right amount of sweetness and zing.
How To Make This Salad
- First, chop the broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces. Chop the onion and place all the veggies in a large bowl.
- Fry the bacon and once it’s cooled, chop it into small pieces. Add it along with the cranberries to the bowl.
- To make the dressing, add the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and honey to a jar with a lid or small bowl. Shake or whisk to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste, and give everything a toss.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour before serving.
Do You Cook The Veggies Before Making The Salad?
Nope, that’s not needed. Cooking the cauliflower and broccoli will make this salad soggy and that’s not what you want at all!
Yummy Substitutions and Additions
- Sunflower seeds, toasted almond or pecans
- Shredded cheddar or Colby cheese
- Raisins or dried cherries
Serve These Delicious Recipes Alongside This Salad
- Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Irish Pot Roast
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Hamburger Hobo Dinner Foil Packs
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 green onions
- ¾ cup dried cranberries – craisins
- ¾ cup cooked chopped bacon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower into bite-size pieces and add to a large bowl. Slice green onions and add to the bowl. Add in cooked chopped bacon and dried cranberries
- To a jar with a lid or small bowl, add sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and honey. Shake or whisk to combine. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle on the salt and pepper then toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cover salad and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour before serving. Toss salad to mix in any settled dressing right before serving.