It’s been a beautiful, busy day here at the homestead, and early on I knew lunch was going to be an “iffy” event. The fact of the matter is, the guys around here start asking…” what’s for lunch?” BEFORE we ever get to Church!
I love this big salad because the flavors are sweet & savory, plus it fills you up.
Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- 3-4 eggs
- 4 pieces cooked crumbed bacon
- 1/4 red onion sliced very thin
- 6 cups fresh, washed baby spinach – dried really well
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil 3 to 4 eggs – 1 per person.
- Place spinach on large platter.
- Arrange egg slices, crumbled bacon and onion on top of greens.
- Make dressing by mixing warm bacon drippings with the other ingredients.
- Drizzle with warm dressing and toss.
*I cook my bacon in the oven so that I can do a whole lb. at a time. Place bacon strips on a wire rack in the oven at 415 degrees for approximately 25-30 minutes. When crispy, remove from oven, cool and store in fridge. To reheat – place on paper towel, lined glass plate in microwave and heat for 15 – 20 seconds.
*I make boiled eggs in advance and keep them in the fridge for breakfast and other uses during the week. I’m kinda intense about leaving things in the fridge for too long so I cook 6 eggs at a time and store them in a covered container for up to 2 days.