This post may contain affiliate links.
It’s just not a party without a cheese ball, right? Whether you’re having a small gathering or a large get-together, this Cheddar and Chive Cheese Ball is sure to be hit. Serve it with your favorite crackers or fresh veggies for an appetizer that is sure to impress your guests!
I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like a yummy cheese ball. It’s often the first appetizer to go at a party and for good reason. There’s just something about spreading cheese, flavored with all kinds of yummy flavors on a cracker that just makes people happy.
It may seem like cheese balls would go out of style over time but honestly, I don’t think they have and here’s why. First, they are super easy to make. You can mix them up with a wooden spoon or like me, use a mixer. Second, they are loaded with flavor. You can add savory or sweet ingredients to flavor the cheese for unexpected flavor combinations. Third, cheese balls can be made ahead time and most freeze beautifully.
Even though you mostly see this tempting appetizer during the holidays, I serve it all year long. One trick I’ve learned is after mixing up your ingredients, divide the mixture and make two, medium size cheese balls instead of one large one. That way, you can have one in the fridge ready to serve and one to freeze. Having something scrumptious on hand to serve unexpected guests is always good! Plus, when you’re invited to a party, just grab some crackers, prep your cheese ball and head out. You’ll be the most popular guest at the shindig.
So, in case you were wondering if this old school recipe still “has it,” well, my answer is YES. Just take one bite of this savory, cheesy, chive flavored cheese ball and you’ll agree.
Other cheesy appetizers perfect for any occasion ~
- Honey & Pistachio Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Cream Cheese & Olives
- Party Cheese Ball
- Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Red Pepper and Cream Cheese
- 2 8 oz cream cheese blocks, room temperature
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 – 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- Place all ingredients into a medium size bowl. Using a hand mixer or wooden spoon, mix until blended well. Divide mixture in half and form into balls. Wrap in plastic wrap. Store in refrigerator. Right before serving, roll cheese ball in chopped pecans.
- ***Cheese ball can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw, then roll in chopped pecans and serve.***Cheese ball can be rolled in almonds or parsley if desired instead of pecans.