Roasted chicken and soft pillows of cheese tortellini all simmered in a rich, herbaceous broth make a comforting soup that will quickly become one of your family’s favorite meals. This recipe comes together in no time thanks to a few store-bought ingredients.
Over the past week, the weather has turned cooler and the first golden leaves have started to fall.
Like most folks, when this happens I start thinking about comfort food which always includes warm soups and stews. This new soup idea had been brewing in my head for several weeks and the time was right to put it to the test.
Chicken and Cheese Tortellini Soup is a simple, comforting dish that’s also easy on my budget. It’s going on my “favorites” list and will be especially good when the sniffles hit during the chilly winter months.
What Goes Into This Recipe?
- Olive Oil
- Dried Thyme, Oregano, and Basil
- Chicken Or Vegetable Stock
- White Beans
- Cheese Tortellini
- Lemon Juice
First off, I wanted a rich, flavorful broth and knew that would come together with some simple vegetables like carrots, onions, and celery. Then the second layer of flavor would come from garlic and dried herbs.
The next few steps are where the “power plays” comes in. I used store-bought rotisserie chicken, packaged tortellini, and canned beans to give my soup some heartiness. I had 2 jars of homemade stock on hand but needed more for my soup, so, 1 box of store-bought broth was also added.
Can This Soup Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Sure with one small change. Follow the instruction up to where the cheese tortellini is added. Bring the soup up to a simmer then add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes. Finish with lemon juice and adjust the seasoning. You’re done!
Make Sure To Try These Soup Recipes
Let me know if you make this recipe! You can rate it below, leave me a comment, or snap a picture. Just tag me on Instagram at #asouthernsoul
Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Tuscan Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 2 carrots – choppped
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic – minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 roasted chicken breast – shredded (1-1 1/2 cups)
- 1 8oz can white beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz package cheese tortellini
- 1 lemon – juiced
- In a a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat olive oil over medium setting. Add celery, carrots and onion. Cook until vegetables are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add salt, pepper and dried herbs, stirring in to cooked vegetables.
- Add stock, shredded chicken and white beans. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Turn burner down to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook for an additional 5 minutes until cheese pasta is heated throughout. Stir in lemon juice. Taste and adjust season.
- Serve hot, with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Don’t Forget To Pin This Recipe Here!
This recipe was originally posted in October 2017.