This post may contain affiliate links.
For an easy weeknight meal or a casual weekend get together, Balsamic Chicken Thighs are always a welcome sight at the table. Marinated in balsamic vinegar, honey with fresh herbs and garlic, this chicken is tender, juicy, tangy, and sweet.
It’s summer. I live in the south and it’s hotter than…well, you know. I’m not complaining, I’m just stating a fact because there’s still life to live and savor. Even when temps soar, when it comes to cooking, I keep things simple and as effortless as possible.
That’s where this recipe comes in. Grilled chicken thighs that have been soaking up an easy 8-ingredient marinade is one of the best ways to enjoy a delicious meal without going to a whole lot of work.
This balsamic marinade is one of my favorites when it comes to imparting flavor into the chicken. I like to use chicken thighs, either with the bone in or not for this recipe. The marinade is so flavorful that you can let your chicken hang out in for as little as 15 minutes or as long as 2 hours. Whatever works for you.
What You Need To Make Balsamic Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thighs (I’ve used boneless skinless in this recipe)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
To add even more flavor to the chicken, I like to cook it on the grill. The outside of the chicken gets a little charred with a tangy, slightly sweet flavor from the marinade.
Tips For Grilling
- Make sure to oil the grates of your grill. I like to use a grill pan and I make sure to oil it as well.
- Sear the chicken over high heat when you first put it on the grill. This usually takes 1 to 2 minutes. Flip it and sear the other side. Once that’s done, I turn down the heat or move the chicken to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 degrees.
To take this recipe to a whole new level I finish off the grilled chicken with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It’s sweet, rich and adds a burst of flavor that is irresistible. It’s super easy to make yourself by using my Balsamic Reduction recipe or you can buy it in the grocery store.
Try These Easy To Make Grill Recipes
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Hamburger Hobo Dinner Foil Packs
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Sweet Heat BBQ Chicken
- 2 – 21/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (substitute ¼ teaspoon of dried if fresh is not available)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (substitute ¼ teaspoon of dried if fresh is not available)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced – optional
- In a small bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic. Add chicken to a glass container or zip-top bag. Pour marinade over chicken. Add the fresh herbs. Cover container and place in fridge to marinate 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from the fridge. Heat grill to medium-high heat, about 450 degrees. Clean and oil grates. Place chicken on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes then flip. Cook the chicken an additional 5-6 minutes until done. Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.
- *** You can substitute bone-in, skin-on chicken. Cooking time will need to be increased, cooking for approximately 10 minutes per side. The chicken will be done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onion if desired.
How To Make Balsamic Reduction
- To a small saucepan, add 1 cup of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey. Stir. Bring to a low boil, and quickly, reduce to a slow simmer. Stir often and watch the pot so as not to burn.
- Cook for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. When the liquid is reduced by ⅓, turn off the burner and allow it to cool. The sauce will thicken and can be kept in the fridge until ready to use.
Absolutely delicious – wonderful served with yellow rice and grilled zucchini with lemon aioli.
Thank you for the outstanding rating!
Tried for the first time tonight! My husband and I LOVEDit. Followed recipe exactly. Perfect balance of flavor, very juicy. The balsamic reduction added the finishing touch(not that it needed it). As my hubby said ” now that’s a definate keeper” thanks for a delicious new addition to the weekday lineup!!
Thank you so much!! I love hearing from you and truly appreciate the terrific rating.
Loved this recipe and perfect as directed. This will definitely be made many more times. Great for company as I can grill earlier and just reheat.
Five stars all the way!
Hey there Rona!
Thank you so much for your kind words and for your phenomenal rating, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe! I totally agree with you, this recipe is great to serve for casual entertaining and it’s also easy to make for a weeknight meal. I really appreciate your support, if you ever have any questions about a recipe please don’t hesitate to ask!
Just made these in the crockpot after sautéing thighs skin side down in an iron skillet with a little olive oil before placing skin side up in crockpot then pouring the combined other ingredients over and around thighs. I used organic garlic powder because I was out of fresh. Low for 4 hours. Incredibly moist, tender and delicious!
Hey there Jill!
Wow! It sounds like you made an absolutely fantastic meal, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed this recipe and got a little inspiration to play around with it, after all that’s what cooking is all about! Thank you so much for your support and for this amazing rating, it warms my heart to read your sweet words!
What do you usually serve alongside this? Great recipe, thanks!!
Hey there Travis!
That’s a great question, and thank you so much for your interest in this recipe! These balsamic Chicken Thighs are terrific served with my Green Bean Salad or Easy Roasted Broccoli, and then I will either make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes or Caprese Pasta Salad as well. I hope this helps, let me know how you end up liking the recipe if you give it a try. Thank you for your support and Happy Holidays!
Great marinade. My favorite now. Just ordered more balsamic… A gallon! I grill them over charcoal with some alderwood smoke chips. Awesome!
Wow! That sounds like an amazing grilling set up, I am so glad you are liking the marinade! Thanks for your interest and support!
Hi Donya –
Can this recipe (boneless/skinless thighs) be put in the marinade in the morning to be grilled in the evening?
Yep, it sure can! Let me know how you like the recipe.
Have a great afternoon,
How can I cook the Balsamic Chicken Thighs in the oven? I do not have a grill so it would be easier
for me to roast it in the oven. I really want to try this recipe. I tried your Candied Jalapenos and my
sister and I thought they were wonderful! Thank You for your assistance……NancyT
Thanks for your kind words. You can cook the chicken on sheet pans in the oven. I would set the temperature to 375 and cook until the internal temp reaches 165. It should take about 25 to 30 minutes for boneless skinless thighs.
I hope this helps.
I halved this recipe and baked in the oven instead of grilling, as I don’t have a grill. Flavors were wonderful, but next time, since baking instead of grilling, I will make this lovely marinade at full recipe with a little extra honey, and use half to make my own reduction instead of using the store-bought balsamic glaze I had on hand. Excellent recipe, DELICIOUS marinade, and definitely a keeper recipe. It turned out beautifully, my mom loved it! Many thanks!!!
That’s absolutely fantastic to hear, I’m so glad you and your Mom enjoyed this recipe! It makes me happy hearing that the marinade was a hit, it’s one of my favorites as well. Thank you so much for your sweet words and your fantastic rating, I really appreciate your support!