It’s been a crazy 2 weeks and last night with the boys on their way home from football and Scouts, I needed a quick, easy meal. We all need a few “go to” dishes and this is one I use over and over. Nothing exotic, just good ‘ol comfort food. It’s a “veggie” dish so you can add a meat on the side if you want. Prep time is about 20 minutes and cook time is around 30 min. so you can have dinner on the table in no time.
It might look like there’s a lot going on with this dish, but not really. It’s easy and the preparation goes really fast. This casserole makes enough for dinner plus a couple of lunches the next day. We love leftovers around here and these rolls really hit the spot.
Spinach & Cheese Lasagna Rolls
Simple comfort food that's also a “veggie” dish so you can add a meat on the side if you want.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 large can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 med can of tomato sauce.
- 1/2 large onion , finely copped.
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 box of spinach (drain well and squeeze out all the liquid)
- 1 carton of Ricotta cheese (or 2 cups of cottage cheese)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 1 egg , beaten
- salt and pepper
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in dutch oven.
- Add onion and cook on medium until soft.
- Add garlic and be careful not to burn.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 min and season with s/p.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add plenty of salt.
- Place 6 to 8 lasagna noodles in the water and cook until al dente. Drain and lay flat.
- While the water is boiling make the filling.
- Mix all filling ingredients together well. When I use cottage cheese, I process the mixture with my handy dandy hand blender for a smoother consistency.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a casserole dish, add about 1/2 of sauce.
- Lay out noodles and cut each in half.
- Spoon filling down the middle of the noodle and roll up.
- Place, seam side down in the baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over the rolls and top with 1/2 cup of each - Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Add more cheese if you want...that's what I do.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.