Creamy Cucumber Salad is a cool, refreshing side dish that can be made in minutes! Fresh veggies and dill tossed in a light dressing make a great salad that’s perfect for any summer party, weeknight meal or cookout.
One of the best things about summer is all the fresh produce that’s available in the grocery and at the farmers market. One of the veggies that always produced a bumper crop in these parts is cucumbers. I’m a big fan of cukes and am always on the lookout for ways to serve them. This salad is my newest find. It’s made with simple ingredients and comes together in short order. Garden fresh cucumbers, onions, tender dill, and a sour cream dressing make this the BEST summer salad for those days when you need something cool and refreshing to serve on a hot day.
Creamy Cucumber Salad is what I call a “cheap and cheerful” dish since cucumbers are inexpensive and most of the other ingredients are pantry staples. This low carb recipe is cool, creamy and so refreshing due to the high water content of the cucumbers. It’s outstanding when served alongside any grilled meat or fish.
- Red Onion
- Fresh Dill
- Olive Oil
- White Wine or Champagne Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
Recipe tips for making Creamy Cucumber Salad:
- You can use any kind of cucumber you’d like. My favorites are English and Kirby since the skin tends to be tender. If you use a more “waxy” cucumber, I suggest peeling strips of the skin off.
- Use a mandolin to slice your cucumbers, making sure to use the guard. If you don’t have one, slice the cucumbers thinly along with the onions.
- Using fresh dill is a must. If you don’t grow your own, which I don’t, you can find it in the produce section of your grocery store. The bright flavor it gives this salad is something so special that you don’t want to skip using this fresh, beautiful herb.
- Due to the high water content of the cucumbers, this salad does not keep for long in the fridge. I make it about 30 minutes ahead of when I want to serve it, giving it time to chill and the flavors marry while stored in the refrigerator. You can use your own judgement but I’ve found that storing it for more than a couple hours makes the veggies soggy.
- Making this salad requires three easy steps – chop the veggies, stir the dressing and toss together. That’s it!
For a wonderful, light dish to serve your family, this Creamy Cucumber Salad is a winner. It’s also ideal for serving at a party because it lets you stretch your budget and is easy to double or tripe when you’re feeding a crowd!
What to serve with Creamy Cucumber Salad?
- Taco Spaghetti Bake
- Sausage & Potato Foil Packs
- Sweet Heat BBQ Chicken
- Low Country Boil
- Herb Butter Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- Crock Pot Sweet & Sour Pork Loin with Pineapple
- Smoked Pulled Pork
- Place cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add sour cream, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Sprinkle on chopped dill and toss together. Cover and chill in refrigerator up to 30 minutes. When ready to serve, toss again, and sprinkle on more dill if desired. Serve immediately!
Want to save this recipe? Pin it HERE!