15 Bean Soup is a family favorite recipe that’s comfort food at it’s best! A bowl of this rich, hearty soup is just the thing to warm you up from the inside out on a chilly fall or winter evening.
When it’s time to serve up comfort food, soup is one of the first things that comes to mind. A warm bowl of soup is kind of like a big hug, right? One of our family’s favorite soups is 15 Bean and we’ve loved it for years. It’s simple to prepare with just a few ingredients but delivers big on flavor. It’s also super versatile since you can add in your favorite meat and seasoning. It’s also budget-friendly and is great to serve when you’re feeding a crowd!
My version of this classic recipe has a few changes from the package directions. I don’t use the flavor packet (throw it away!) that comes with the beans. Instead, I season my soup with a bit of chili powder, salt, and red pepper. I also add crushed tomatoes to give the soup a rich flavor that’s so stinking good! I use vegetable stock and water to make the broth even more flavorful. This soup is finished off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice along with a dash or two of hot sauce. All these things combined make for one amazing bowl of goodness!
What you’ll need to make 15 Bean Soup:
- 15 bean soup mix
- crushed tomatoes
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes
- lemon juice
Can I make 15 Bean Soup on the stovetop or the slow cooker?
Yes, you can use both cooking methods! For the stovetop, you’ll need to soak your beans overnight, then cook them in a stockpot for two hours until the beans are tender. If using the slow cooker, you don’t need to soak the beans. Just load up the pot, set the temperature to low and set the timer to 6 hours.
Want to change up the recipe and add your own special ingredients? No problem! Try these yummy additions:
- Leftover ham or rotisserie chicken.
- Smoked sausage or Kielbasa.
- Taco seasoning packets along with ground beef or turkey
- Top off the soup with grated cheese, hot sauce, fresh parsley or chives.
If you like this easy to make soup recipe, you might also like these “perfect for a chilly evening” dishes as well:
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Tuscan Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham & White Bean Soup
- Amazing Roasted Cabbage Soup
15 Bean SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 1 20 oz package Hurst 15 bean soup mix
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup onion - minced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to liking)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 lemon - juiced
Slow Cooker Version
- Rinse beans and add to slow cooker. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, vegetable stock, and water. Stir. Place lid on cooker. Set temperature to HIGH and timer for 6 hours.
- When timer goes off, add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir to incorporate. Place lid back on slow cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Stove Top Version
- Rinse beans and add them to a large pot. Cover with 8 cups of water. Let beans soak overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain beans and discard liquid.
- To a large stockpot, add beans, vegetable stock, water, onion, garlic, and chili powder. Stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cover with lid and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add in tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Taste to adjust seasoning. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Want to save this recipe? Pin it HERE!
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Price: $29.69Was: $49.99