Make your own Pumpkin Spice Blend with this DIY recipe! Customize this mix with just the right amounts of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Use it for pies, cakes, cookies, drinks or whatever suits your fancy.
Baking season has arrived! With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, everyone who loves to cook, or wants to try starts gathering recipes to make. This also means that we’ll all be making long lists of what we’ll need from the grocery store. When it comes time to make all these special recipes for family and friends, you’ve got to use the best ingredients.
Using the best ingredients in my book does not mean using the most expensive. That’s where this spice blend comes in. Some of the most expensive items in the store can be found on the spice aisle and often comes with sticker shock. So, instead of spending extra money on a specialized blend that may not really suit my taste buds, I make my own Pumpkin Spice Blend.
Pumpkin Spice is a blend of some of the best flavors used in fall recipes. Now, there is that crowd of “never pumpkin spice” people but I’m not a member. I love all the warm notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. With the addition of a bit of spicy ginger and peppery allspice, this blend makes whatever you add it to super flavorful and extra delicious.
What You Need To Make Pumpkin Spice Blend
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Cloves
- Ground Allspice
This DIY spice blend is super easy to make. All you do is measure, mix, and store. Homemade Pumpkin Spice Blend, sealed in an airtight jar or container will keep for up to one year. When fall arrives, I switch around my spice cabinet, moving all my favorites to the front. This blend is always front and center so that I can add it to my seasonal recipes along with a few unexpected sprinkles to new dishes I’m making.
The Benefits Of Making Your Own Pumpkin Spice Blend
- My number one reason for making my own spice blend is that I can adjust the amounts of ingredients. Sometimes, store-bought mixes have too much of one of a particular spice that can overwhelm a recipe. By making your own, you can customize the blend to suit your taste. If you don’t care for cloves, cut back a bit. Maybe you like a bit more ginger, then add more in. It’s as easy as that!
- Making your own spice blend is a smart way to stretch a dollar. I can buy larger quantities of spices I use more often, like cinnamon and ginger and smaller amounts of the nutmeg, clove, and allspice. Then when it’s time to mix up the Pumpkin Spice Blend, I use fresh ingredients without wasting half a bottle of spices I won’t use.
- Pumpkin Spice Blend makes a great gift. Make a double or triple batch, put it in pretty jars or tins, attach a label and share a little love!
More Homemade Herb and Spice Blends
Try Pumpkin Spice Blend In These Fall Recipes
Follow A Southern Soul on Pinterest and Instagram!
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. Place in an airtight container and store until ready to use.***Will keep for up to 1 year.
***Want to save this recipe? Pin it HERE!***
Rate & Comment