Ah, the humble, unassuming crouton is crunchy, savory & buttery. Coutons can change a warm bowl of soup into a new level of comfort or a salad into something unexpected. Friends, I challenge you to get creative with dried or fresh herbs, cheeses, hot or mild peppers, butter and olive oil to make your own wonderful mix. Here’s my “go-to” recipe that is fast and easy…just add your own favorite flavors that mix beautifully with the dish you are serving.
Left over bread never tasted to good!
Take croutons from the back seat to the main star with these easy and yummy recipe.
- 4 cups cubed day old bread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Heat butter and olive oil in cast iron skillet or pan on medium heat.
- Once butter has melted, add salt, pepper, thyme & cheese.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Turn burner down to medium low.
- Continue to sauté, tossing bread until cubes are golden brown.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve either warm or let cool and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Here are few ideas to use homemade croutons…
Salad with my FAVORITE VINEGRETTE dressing
Rich broth Mushroom Soup