Sweet, fluffy Easy Cinnamon Rolls made with a brown sugar cinnamon swirl, and topped with vanilla cream cheese icing are outrageously delicious! This simple, “quick rise” recipe is great to make for breakfast, brunch and perfect for the holiday season.
Cinnamon Roll lovers, this recipe is for you! I can say that will full authority, too. I’ve always loved cinnamon rolls but I’d been a bit hesitant at tackling what appeared to be a complex recipe for them.
Now, it’s game over! With this simple recipe, using instant rise yeast, I’ve mastered the art of cinnamon roll making. Over the past month, I’ve made this recipe no less than 6 times. Each time, these beautiful, sweet, sticky, buttery rolls have turned out perfectly.
Why You’ll Love These Cinnamon Rolls
- They’re buttery, soft, and fluffy.
- Are topped with a heaping amount of sweet vanilla cream cheese icing.
- Have a rich brown sugar cinnamon swirl running throughout.
- Are easy to make with quick rise yeast.
- Made from scratch and better than anything from a bakery!
What You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Quick Rise Instant Yeast
- Light Brown Sugar
- Cream Cheese
- Confectioners Sugar
This recipe is so easy that you’ll be making Cinnamon Rolls before you know it!
How To Make Cinnamon Rolls
Add the flour, yeast, salt and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Heat the milk in the microwave or on the stove until just warm. Add it along with the room temperature eggs and softened butter to the dry ingredients. Using the dough hook attachment, mix until the four is completely incorpotated, about 4 to 5 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough sit for a minimum of 15 minutes or up to an hour at room temperature
While the dough is rising, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Once the dough has risen, turn it out on to a floured surface, and roll it out into a rectangle. Spread softened butter over the dough and sprinkle on cinnamon sugar. Roll the dough into a log. Cut into 8 large rolls and place into a prepared baking dish. Cover and let the rolls rise for 20 minutes. Bake the rolls for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown.
In a medium size bowl, using a hand mixer or whisk, blend together the cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, salt and milk until smooth. Slather over warm rolls.
Can These Cinnamon Rolls Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, they sure can! I’ve made them ahead of time over the past 2 weekends and they turn out great. Turn them into “overnight” cinnamon rolls by making them, then placing them in the prepared baking dish. Do not let them rise at room temp. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. Before baking the next morning, remove the pan about 45 minutes prior to baking.
Can You Freeze Cinnamon Rolls?
You bet. This recipe freezes beautifully. To freeze, make the rolls and let cool completely. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, let the rolls thaw completely, warm them, and slather on the icing. YUM!
More Breakfast & Brunch Recipes To Make
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Glazed Orange Muffins
- Ham & Cheese Strata
- French Toast Bread Pudding
- Three Cheese Quiche
Last but not least…
If you make these Easy Cinnamon Rolls, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, if you make this recipe, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to see your photo.
- 3 ½ – 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet instant quick rise yeast – I use Red Star
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- 6 tablespoons room temperature salted butter
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup (1 stick) room temperature butter
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoon milk
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add 3 ½ cups of flour, yeast, salt, sugar, eggs, butter, and warm milk. Using the dough hook attachment, mix until the flour is incorporated, about 4 to 5 minutes. If the dough is sticky, add the remaining ¼ to ½ of flour. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough sit for 15 minutes or up to an hour at room temperature.
- Lightly flour a work surface and turn out the dough. Punch it down and roll it into a rectangle about 10 x 15 inches. Spread the ½ cup of room temperature butter evenly over the dough. Sprinkle over cinnamon sugar.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Starting on the long edge, roll the dough into a log making sure it's as tight as possible. Pinch the edge to seal. Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 rolls. Place in a buttered 3qt rectangle (about 6×8 inch) baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Spread icing over warm rolls and serve.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar and cinnamon until well blended.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a medium-size mixing bowl using a hand mixer or whisk, mix together softened cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, salt until smooth. If icing is too thick, add another tablespoon of mix.
First time attempting cinnamon rolls. What a great and easy recipe! The icing is to die for! Was able to make 12 rolls which made my family quite happy.
You have made my day, Shelley!
These are the EASIEST and most delicious cinnamon buns I have ever made!!! Next time, these will be made often, I will cut them into 12 pieces instead of 8.
Hey there Kim!
Wow! Thank you so much for your sweet words and this phenomenal rating! I am thrilled to here y’all enjoyed this recipe, I completely agree with you that it’s one of the easiest homemade cinnamon bun recipes, I feel like it’s one of those recipes that people are impressed by even though it’s easier than you’d think. I think that you could absolutely make this into 12 cinnamon buns if you wanted. Thank you so much for your support, I hope you have a happy Holiday season!
I’m OBSESSED with this recipe! I’ve already made it twice within a week if that’s any indication of my infatuation. It’s also very beginner dough friendly, I was nervous about messing it up but it turns out every time. Easy to follow and delicious! Everyone that’s tried them won’t shut up about them for weeks!
Hey there Chelsea!
Wow! Thank you so much for your raving review and your fantastic rating! I am so happy to hear that you have enjoyed this recipe, there is really nothing better than a warm cinnamon roll on a chilly day. If you ever have any questions about a recipe please feel free to reach out, I appreciate your support! I hope you have a great rest of your day!
I love being a taster test for A Southern Soul. These cinnamon rolls are so good I could not stop eating them. Thanks!