A few weeks ago I started thinking about some new “yummy things” I could make for the boys lunches and after school snacks. I’ve experimented with a few recipes and some have been hits and then again…some not so much BUT these Cookie Bars got 2 thumbs up right away.
This recipe has been around for YEARS and is a proven winner. The thing is, I don’t really like to make cookies…shh! I guess it’s just that impatient part of my soul showing out, so, I decided to make the recipe into cookie bars. It worked beautifully and I can cut them into any size I want. I’ve added chocolate chips for my one guy and toasted coconut for the other one and Big Sweetie will eat them any ‘ol way. So, head to the kitchen, get creative and make your own version of Oatmeal Cookie Bars, your family will love you “even more” for it!
Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 1 1/4 c . unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 c . firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c . granulated sugar
- 1 egg - room temp
- 1 tsp . vanilla
- 1 1/2 c . flour
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1 tsp . salt
- 1 tsp . cinnamon
- 3 c . oats , uncooked
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and add to butter mixture, mixing well.
- Stir in the oats.
- Press dough into the bottom of a 9x13 ungreased baking pan, making sure to press firmly.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire wrack.
- Cut into squares.