Lemony, garlicky chicken wings are downright, lip smacking good! These baked wings are cooked in the oven with a light, super flavorful sauce that will make you think twice about ever frying your wings ever again.I am always looking for ways to revamp food that we find on restaurant menus. Wings are one of those dishes I’ve been thinking about that I believe have needed a “makeover” for several reasons. Here’s my first one – yes, I love the hot, spicy intense flavor of buffalo wings but I don’t like how most of the time the sauce over powers the chicken. Another reason I’ve wanted to come up with my own spin on chicken wings is that they can be messy to make and a little unhealthy. Well, to deal with the sauce issue, I came up with a flavor combination that’s outstanding. If you’ve been hanging out with me for very long, you know my love affair with lemon and with garlic and those two together can turn into something ah-maz-ing! Lastly, baking the wings made them crispy and wonderfully juicy. With everything being made in one bowl, the cooking pan lined with foil, everything was easy to clean up as well.
It looks like this dish hits all the check action items I had listed on my check list for my wings makover. Actually, the proof was in the tasting and that was a definite CHECK by not only me but by the other four happy people in my house.
Lemon & Garlic Baked Chicken Wings
- 2 packages chicken wings ( I use wings with all parts attached)
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic - peeled
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place wire rack on top. Set aside. In a small bowl, zest and juice one lemon
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Using a micro plane or small grater, grate garlic cloves into olive oil. Whisk all ingredients together. Add chicken wings and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Coat cooking rack with cooking spray. Place chicken wings on rack. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Turn wings and continue to cook for 15 - 20 minutes until wings are golden brown and done. ***Turn wings over one last time and broil to get extra crispy skin.
- Zest and juice second lemon. When chicken comes out of oven, drizzle with lemon juice then sprinkle with zest and 1 teaspoon salt. Let cool then serve.