If you need a yummy side dish to serve to folks who don’t like cole slaw, well this is it. Mr. A Southern Soul is not a fan of slaw, at ALL, so I had to come up with a little something for him when we grill out.
Actually, I did this more for me cause I felt bad that everyone else was digging into the slaw and he kinda looked left out – crazy, right? I call this a Carrot Salad but looks more like slaw and has flavors of a traditional Waldorf salad but with a few changes. It really doesn’t matter what the name – it’s crunchy, sweet with a fresh taste of lemon and parsley & got two thumbs up from everyone at the dinner table this weekend. So, everyone’s happy and I think I’ll stick to calling it Carrot Salad since “someone” has now claimed it as his idea!
If you need a yummy side dish to serve to folks who don’t like cole slaw, well this is it.Print Pin Rate
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 cups peeled carrots - shredded
- 3 cups peeled apples (about 3) - shredded and drained
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Using a box grater, shred carrots and apples.
- Place grated apples in a fine mesh strainer or paper towels and press to drain off juice.
- In a large bowl, add carrots, apples, currants and parsley.
- Add remaining ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until blended.
- Pour dressing over carrots and apples.
- Mix gently.
- Can be served immediately or chilled until ready to serve.