This post may contain affiliate links.
Carrots and apples take center stage in this fresh salad that’s so easy to make! Carrot Apple Salad is a classic, feel-good recipe perfect for serving in the Fall or whenever you need a pop of bright flavor. It’s the ideal side dish for busy weeknight meals and is great for family get-togethers.
This retro recipe has been around for decades, making it a favorite at family dinners, covered dish suppers, and holiday gatherings.
I love taking a classic recipe and adding my own twist to them. That’s what I’ve done with Carrot Apple Salad, giving it a lighter, bright dressing.
My family loves this salad! It’s got a great crunch from shredded carrots and apples, with just the right amount of sweetness from raisins. Add in a punch of fresh flavor from lemons and chopped parsley for a lovely salad that young and old will happily devour.
Ingredients For Carrot Apple Salad
- Shredded Carrots
- Shredded Apples
- Raisins or Currants (you can omit this ingredient if you are not a fan)
- Fresh Parsley
- Lemon Juice
- White Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
Is There Any Special Equipment Needed To Make This Recipe?
Nope, not at all. I use a standard box grater to shred the carrots and apples. You can use a food processor if you are doubling the recipe because it’s much quicker and a little less elbow grease is needed.
How To Make This Salad
- First, shred the carrots and apples and place them in a dish towel or paper towels. Squeeze out any juices from them, then place in a medium size mixing bowl. Add in the raisins and fresh chopped parsley.
- Next, make the dressing. Add the mayonnaise, white vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
Can This Recipe Be Make Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! Carrot Apple Salad is a great make-ahead dish that gets even better once it’s had time to sit a bit. Just make sure you store it covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy.
What To Serve With Carrot Apple Salad
This salad goes well with so many other dishes. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and Air Fryer Baby Potatoes for an easy weeknight meal.
- Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs, and Home Run Hot Dog Chili for a fun Friday night gathering with friends.
- Orange Red Pepper Jelly Ham for Thanksgiving.
- Ham and Cheese Quiché and Crescent Roll Danish for weekend brunch.
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo.
- Box Grater
- Mixing Bowls
- 3 cups peeled carrots – shredded
- 3 cups peeled apples (about 3) – shredded and drained
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Using a box grater, shred carrots and apples.
- Place grated apples in a fine mesh strainer or paper towels and press to drain off juice.
- In a large bowl, add carrots, apples, currants and parsley.
- Add remaining ingredients to a small bowl and whisk together until blended.
- Pour dressing over carrots and apples.
- Mix gently.
- Can be served immediately or chilled until ready to serve.