Air Fryer Hot Dogs are easy and absolutely the best! Cooked in less than 10 minutes, these hot dogs are crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and nestled in a toasted bun. This is a yummy, fast, easy way to serve up a family favorite.
“Outstanding! I won’t ever do dogs any other way! Thank you so much for this great recipe, it was “spot on”!Karen H.
I have had a love affair with hot dogs for years. Whether they are served at a ballgame, at a backyard cookout, on a camping trip, or for a weeknight meal, I’ll be the first one in line to grab one.
But hold on, I don’t want just any hot dog. I want tender, juicy hotdogs, perfectly cooked with slightly crispy skin. And let’s not forget about the bun. I want it to be toasted and ready to hold all the yummy toppings like Hot Dog Chili, mustard, Creamy Cole Slaw, and chopped onions that go on a hot dog.
Recently, I found the ultimate way to enjoy the BEST hot dog, and it’s all about air frying! Cooking hot dogs in the air fryer takes just 6 minutes, and another 2 minutes are needed to toast the bun. These babies turn out perfectly whether you are cooking one for yourself or making a meal for your family.
Why You’ll Love Cooking Hot Dogs In The Air Fryer
Air Frying is easy and quick, and clean-up is almost nonexistent since the basket goes into the dishwasher. There are no coals to heat up or heading outside to fire up the grill. So now, you don’t have to wait for summer to enjoy a perfectly cooked hot dog in a toasted bun…just grab your air fryer and go for it!
What You Need For This Recipe
- Hot Dogs – choose your favorite brand of high-quality hot dogs. I prefer either Hebrew National or Nathans.
- Hot Dog Buns – select buns that are pre-cut and fit the length of the hot dog.
- Toppings – mustard, ketchup, chili, slaw, sauerkraut, and relish are a few of the favorites in my house.
Why Cut Slits In Hot Dogs Before Cooking?
- Even Cooking: Since hot dogs are cylindrical, and if you cook them without slits, they can sometimes burst open as they heat up. Cutting slits allows the heat to penetrate evenly, reducing the risk of them bursting.
- Faster Cooking: Slits help the heat reach the center of the hot dog more quickly.
- Texture and Flavor: I like to cut slits because it makes the hot dog a bit crispier on the outside.
- Toppings Holder: The little slits allow all the yummy toppings to kind of sink into the hot dog! Who doesn’t love that?
How Long And What Temperature To Cook Hot Dogs In The Air Fryer?
Place the hot dogs in the air fryer, set the temperature to 400 degrees, and set the timer to 6 minutes. After the hot dogs are done, take them out of the basket, place them in the butter bun, and then place them back in the air fryer for 2 minutes to toast.
Tips For Making The Best Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Before cooking, make slits in each hot dog. You don’t need to do this, but I like to because those little edges get extra crispy and hold the delicious toppings.
- Brush the top of each bun with softened butter. This is totally optional, but I think it adds a bit of flavor and helps the bun toast to a beautiful golden color.
- There is no need to preheat the air fryer, and no oil is needed.
Storing And Reheating
To reheat, place the hot dogs in the air fryer set to 350 degrees, for 3 minutes. You can also heat them in the microwave.
What To Serve With The BEST Hot Dogs
Everyone has their favorite toppings to add to their hot dog, and I’m no different. For me, it’s yellow mustard, chopped onion, and creamy cole slaw. But, you can get creative and pile on all kinds of goodies.
After the toppings, you’ve got to have some side dishes. My favorites are Caprese Pasta Salad and Crock Pot Baked Beans. Whether you’re serving these hot dogs for Memorial Day, Labor Day, a family cookout, or a simple weeknight meal, these dishes are ideal to serve alongside your perfectly cooked dogs!
- 4-8 hot dogs
- 4-8 hot dog buns
- softened butter
- Take hot dogs out of package. Cut slits in each hot dog and place them in the basket of the air fryer.
- Set temperature to 400 degrees and timer to 6 minutes. Slide basket into the air fryer and press the start/power button. At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove the basket. Place one hot dog into each bun. Brush on softened butter (optional) and place hog dogs in buns back in the air fryer.
- Set the temperature to 400 degrees and the timer to 2 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, carefully remove hot dogs from the basket and serve with your favorite toppings.
Want To Know More About Air Frying?
If you are new to cooking with an Air Fryer or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using the Air Fryer like a pro!