You know, how sometimes you are just sick of cooking the same old thing? Dinner time is approaching and everyone is asking “what are we having” and you really have no idea what you are going to serve. Well, that happened this past week and truthfully, I was over it – cooking I mean. I really had no excuse except I just hadn’t thought too much about meal planning for the week. Thankfully, I had fresh bread and other good stuff in the fridge and pantry. So, with starving people stalking me, I got creative and came up with my version of a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.
Philly Cheese Steak Style Stuffed Sandwiches
- 1 loaf french bread
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worchestire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice bread in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the center of bread and set aside. Place bread on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brown ground beef in a cast iron skillet set to medium high heat. When cooked, remove beef from pan and drain all but 2 tablespoon of fat. Add onion and cook until transcluent. Add flour to pan and whisk to incorporate. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Whisk in milk, scraping up bits from bottom of pan. Add in Worchestire sauce, salt, pepper and bread from inside of loaf. Mix well.
- Add ground beef to gravy mixture, stir. Cook meat mixture on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Spread butter on each side of bread and place in oven to toast for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove bread from oven and spoon beef mixture into half of bread and top with cheese. Top with second half of bread.
- Cook in oven for 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into 3 inch sandwiches.