This post may contain affiliate links.
If you are a Southerner, you know about squash and onions, it’s one of our favorite squash recipes around here. Tender yellow squash and Vidalia onion sauteed in butter with just the right seasoning is one of summer’s best dishes! Whether you’re serving it for a weeknight meal or at a family cookout, you’ll have the fresh taste of summer ready in no time!
You already know, I’m a big fan of seasonal cooking, I like to use all the delicious ingredients growing in my garden. Yellow Squash is one of the veggies that just keeps on giving, everyone’s garden is full of it during the spring and summer. One of my favorite easy squash recipes is Squash and Onions.
It’s a very simple squash recipe, with just 6 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time, you can serve this wonderful side dish with just about anything. Summer squash goes well with everything from chicken and pork, to steak and seafood. The best part of this recipe is that it makes wonderful leftovers, you can enjoy it the next day for lunch, dinner, or a quick snack!
What Are The Different Types Of Squash?
- Yellow Squash
- Yellow Straightneck Squash
- Zephyr Squash
- Butternut Squash
- Acorn Squash
- Banana Squash
- Spaghetti Squash
When I make Squash And Onions, I like to use Zephyr Squash. With a combination of yellow and light green, this squash is just downright pretty with a tender, thin skin. If you can’t find Zephyrs, you can use Yellow Squash or Yellow Straightneck Squash for this dish.
Ingredients Needed To Make Squash And Onions
- Yellow or Zephyr Squash
- Vidalia Onion – thinly sliced
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Cracked Pepper
People Often Ask…
Here’s the little trick that I recommend for keeping your yellow squash recipes from going soggy…
After you’ve sliced your squash, pat it extra dry with a paper towel, and then sprinkle with a pinch of salt to help dry the squash out before you start cooking it.
There are all kinds of wonderful squash recipes you can make, here are just a couple of my favorites…
What To Serve With Squash And Onions
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- BEST Roasted Pork Tenderloin
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs
- Best Air Fryer Salmon
- Grilled Sausage With With Peppers and Onions
- 3 – 4 medium yellow or Zephyr squash – sliced to about ⅛ inch thickness
- ½ sweet onion – thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat olive oil in a medium size sauté pan. Add onion and cook on medium until soft.
- Add squash, water, salt and pepper. Stir gently. Continue cooking until squash is tender.
- Gently add butter and toss to coat squash and onions. Taste and adjust seasonings. This can be served with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or fresh herbs.
Rate & Comment