With the perfect mix of sweet and savory flavor, Watermelon Salad with Feta is bright, refreshing and super easy to make! Whether served as a side dish or light lunch, it’s the best cool summer salad.
Pin This Recipe Here For Later
Fresh salads are my go-to for lunch, dinner, cookouts, parties, and, actually, any gathering during summer. I love picking out homegrown fruit and veggies and the farmer’s market, then turning them into something special.
This watermelon salad recipe has been at the top of my summer salad list for years. The sweet, juicy watermelon is perfectly balanced by the salty, crumbly feta cheese, and the red onion gives it just the right amount of crunch. As a bonus, it takes just minutes to put it together!
What Makes Watermelon And Feta Salad So Special?
- It’s beautiful, light, and the perfect salad for hot weather.
- It’s healthy, low in calories and fat.
- It can be customized to your liking with many different ingredients.
- It is a simple, delicious salad and super easy to make.
Ingredients For Watermelon Feta Salad
- Fresh Baby Spinach
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Grape Tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- Kosher Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
Scroll Down For Measurements And Instructions
How To Pick A Watermelon That’s Ripe, Sweet And Juicy
- Look for a watermelon with a creamy yellow spot on the bottom. This spot is where the watermelon sat on the ground while it was ripening, indicating that it has had time to develop its flavor.
- Look for a watermelon that is heavy for its size. This means that it is full of water and will be juicy.
- Avoid watermelons with soft spots or bruises. These spots indicate that the watermelon is not ripe or has been damaged.
- Give it the THUMP TEST! A ripe watermelon will have a hollow sound when you thump it.
How To Make The Best Watermelon And Feta Salad
Don’t blink! I say this with a wink and a bit of seriousness because this salad recipe comes together in just minutes.
- Wash and dry the spinach, then place it in a large bowl or on a platter. I use my salad spinner, which makes washing lettuce so easy and quick.
- Cut the watermelon into cubes, slice the red onion, cut the grape tomatoes in half, and place on top of the spinach.
- Break the feta cheese into chunks using a fork and sprinkle it over the salad.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl or mason jar. Whisk together or shake in the jar until combined. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Tips And Variations
- Use a seedless watermelon for the easiest preparation, and cut it into bite-sized cubes.
- For the best flavor and texture, use Greek Feta cheese that comes in a block. Use a fork to break up the cheese into small pieces.
- If you are not a fan of feta cheese, you can substitute shaved Parmesan, shredded Monterrey Jack, or mozzarella.
- Toss in cucumber and Kalamata olives for a Mediterranean vibe.
- Garnish the salad with fresh herbs like mint, basil, or thyme for a pop of flavor.
Common Questions With Answers
This salad is best served chilled or at room temperature. I keep the watermelon in the fridge before making, which helps the salad stay chilled.
It will last for about two days in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container. Make sure to toss the salad after it’s been stored to mix in any dressing that may have settled.
What To Serve With Watermelon Salad
One of my favorite ways to serve this sweet watermelon salad is with Grilled Pork Tenderloin, Grilled Lemon Chicken, or Oven Baked BBQ Chicken.
It’s especially good with anything hot and spicy, like Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken or Cajun Garlic Shrimp.
I also love serving this salad on a summer buffet with Sausage Jalapeño Popper Dip, Carolina Slaw Dogs, Crock Pot Baked Beans, and BBQ Grilled Chicken Legs.
Craving More Fresh Salads? Try These:
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Best Caprese Pasta Salad
- Spinach Salad With Warm Bacon Dressing
- BLT Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Easy Caprese Salad
- 6 cups washed baby spinach
- 4 cup cubed watermelon
- ¼ red onion – thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 large clove garlic (grated)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Wash and dry the spinach, then place it in a large bowl or on a platter.
- Top watermelon, grape or cherry tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with balsamic dressing and serve.
- Place all ingredients in a small jar and shake to emulsify.
- This salad is best served chilled or at room temperature. I keep the watermelon in the fridge before making it, which helps the salad stay chilled.
- Sweet watermelon salad will last for about two days in the refrigerator, stored in an airtight container. Make sure to toss the salad after it’s been stored to mix in any dressing that may have settled.
This post was originally published in August, 2012 and updates in May, 2023.
This was delicious, Donya! Had to do without the tomatoes, but very tasty, with the nice tangy dressing. My husband said, “What a delightful salad!” Thank you for the many good recipes you share here.
Hey there Jackie!
Wow! I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed this recipe, I completely agree with you that the dressing is really makes this salad so tasty! Thank you so much for your kind words of support and your fantastic rating, if you ever have any questions about a recipe I’d be more than happy to help out!