Cheesy goodness with a satisfying crunch, these homemade baked cheese sticks are irresistible! This crowd-pleasing appetizer recipe is the perfect choice for parties or when you’re craving a savory snack.
Baked Cheese Sticks: Loads Of Flavor Without Frying
Raise your hand if you’ve ever made a meal with cheese sticks and warm sauce. Come on now, I can’t be the only one. I fully admit that I love that goody cheese pull dunked into homemade spaghetti sauce, and that’s what led me on a quest to make cheese sticks that are healthier, and less greasy without sacrificing taste.
My recipe for baked cheese sticks has all of the classic flavors found in restaurant-style mozzarella sticks but without heavy breading. They are crispy and crunchy with just the right amount of seasoning. And don’t skip the fact that you can make them at home!
Ingredients For Homemade Cheese Sticks
- Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks
- Panko Breadcrumbs – Italian seasoned or plain breadcrumbs also work well.
- House Seasoning – garlic powder, and onion powder can also be used.
- Dried Oregano – you can also use a dried Italian seasoning blend for a more robust flavor.
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and measurements.
Scroll Down For Measurements
How To Make Baked Cheese Sticks
- Remove string cheese from individual packaging, place on a sheet tray, and freeze for half to one whole hour. Heat the oven and prepare the breading station.
- Remove the cheese sticks from the freezer, dip in flour and egg white mixture, then coat in the seasoned bread crumb mixture. Carefully place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Lightly coat each stick with non-stick cooking spray. Place pan in the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until browned on one side then gently turn and broil for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven onto a serving plate and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Dipping Sauce Ideas
I’ve got fond memories of enjoying cheese sticks with pizza sauce as a kid, and this nostalgia has carried into adulthood. Now that I’m a “big kid” I’m more adventurous with dipping sauce with my cheese sticks!
- Spicy Mayo Sauce
- Classic Thousand Island Dressing
- Alabama White BBQ Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Fry Sauce
- Jezebel Sauce
How Do I Store Leftovers?
If you somehow have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer until crispy.
People Often Ask
Absolutely! While mozzarella is the classic choice, you can experiment with cheddar, pepper jack, or any other cheese you prefer.
Yep, just prepare per the recipe up to baking and freeze them. When ready to enjoy, bake them straight from the freezer – just adjust the baking time slightly.
Air Frying works great for this recipe. Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C), spray the sticks with a bit of cooking oil, and air fry them for about 5-7 minutes until they’re golden and crispy.
Craving More? Try These Appetizer Recipes
- Pepperoni Pizza Pull-Apart Bread
- Stuffed Celery
- Crock Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- Black Bean And Corn Salsa
- Dill Pickle Herb Dip
If you tried this Baked Mozzarella Sticks with Marinara Sauce Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
- Remove string cheese from individual packaging, place on sheet tray and freeze for one hour.
- Set oven rack to lower third and preheat broiler on high.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl beat together egg whites and water. Mix panko with house seasoning and oregano then place into a third shallow bowl. *You are making a 3 step breading station.*
- Remove string cheese from freezer and coat with flour, then dip in egg whites, and finally coat with the panko crumb mixture. Carefully place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray. Place pan in oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Gently turn each mozzarella stick and broil for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Remove from oven onto a plate and allow the pan to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving with warm marinara sauce.