My family is like so many others. We’re busy running all day with school, work and activities. Then, before we know it, it’s time for everyone to gather around the table and push the worries of the world away. The family table is where so many memories are made so it’s important to make sure we keep it a priority in our lives. With that in mind, I’ve created a few easy to make main dishes that I can whip up in a jiffy. I’m always on the look out for family friendly, main dishes to serve so that all I have to do is add a salad, some crusty bread and boom…supper is on the table!
This Creamy Chicken Casserole is one of those dishes at it’s best! When my schedule is packed and there’s little time for getting creative at supper time, I can count on this recipe to help me pull together a great meal. All I do is pick up a rotisserie chicken, grab a bag of egg noodles and then with a few ingredients I always have in my fridge and pantry, I’ve created a casserole masterpiece. This is one hard working dish that’s at the top of my “family favorite meal” list.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces egg noodles - about 3/4 of regular bag
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs - 4 to 5 slices
- 2 - 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
- salt & black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring 1 to 2 minutes until mixture is golden.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- While sauce is cooling, cook noodles according to the package directions; drain and return them to the pot.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the milk mixture, chicken and thyme to the noodles and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch or some other 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake until the bread crumbs are golden and casserole is bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Items You Might Need For This Recipe
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Want more great recipes like this one? Make sure to FOLLOW me on Pinterest and PIN this dish here ~