This Creamy Chicken Casserole is a recipe that produces big flavor yet comes together in no time! When my schedule is packed and there’s little time for getting creative at supper time, I can count on this recipe to help me pull together a great meal.
All I do is pick up a rotisserie chicken, grab a bag of egg noodles, and then with a few ingredients I always have in my fridge and pantry, I can create a casserole masterpiece. This is one hard-working dish that’s at the top of my “family favorite meal” list.
What Makes This Creamy Chicken Casserole So Good?
Homemade sauce! This casserole is made with a cream sauce that has extra flavor from sour cream and adds a richness that you just can’t get with canned soup.
It’s also great when you’re feeding a crowd. I’ve made it for covered dish suppers, school parties, and potlucks. It’s a great dish to take to friends when a new baby arrives, or they are in need of some extra TLC.
Ingredients Needed To Make This Recipe
- Leftover or Rotisserie Chicken – white or dark meat, whichever you prefer
- Egg Noodles
- Sour Cream
- Day-old Bread or Breadcrumbs
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Creamy Chicken Casserole
With just a few minutes of prep time, you’ve got a recipe that gives back big rewards! The key to this dish is a creamy homemade sauce with NO CANNED SOUP!
- First, make the sauce. The secret to a luscious, smooth sauce is letting it cook long enough for the flour to fully incorporate with the butter, then adding the milk.
- Once the sauce is done, cook the noodles, drain and place back in the cooking pot.
- To the noodles, add the chicken and sauce. Fold everything together, then spoon it into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs or torn day-old bread. Drizzle with melted butter and place in the oven to bake.
- After baking, for just 8 to 10 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven, let rest for 5 minutes, then serve. YUM!
Can This Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Yes, it can! Make the casserole per the instruction, up to topping it with breadcrumbs and butter. Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator. When you are ready to bake, uncover the casserole, top with breadcrumbs and butter and cook until hot and bubbly.
What To Serve With Creamy Chicken Casserole
- Skillet Green Beans
- Simple Roasted Broccoli
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Green Bean Salad
More Comfort Food Recipes You’ll Love!
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Out Of This World Baked Spaghetti
- Chicken And Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and a rating. I always love hearing from you! Also, don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram.
Creamy Chicken Casserole
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces egg noodles – about 3/4 of regular bag
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs – 4 to 5 slices
- 2 – 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
- salt & black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring 1 to 2 minutes until mixture is golden.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking often, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- While sauce is cooling, cook noodles according to the package directions; drain and return them to the pot.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the milk mixture, chicken and thyme to the noodles and toss to combine.
- Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch or some other 3-quart baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Bake until the bread crumbs are golden and casserole is bubbling, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.