This post may contain affiliate links.
Tender, white beans, ham, and veggies, cooked in a rich broth with herbs make a soup that’s hearty and satisfying. Slow Cooker Ham And White Bean Soup is a great, no-stress meal on its own, especially when the slow cooker does all the work for you!
Ham And Potato Soup: A Family Favorite
According to those who know, that would be my family; this is one of the best soups I’ve ever made. Really? Not that I’m ungrateful or anything, but this dish came together so quickly that I hardly thought it’d be in the “best ever” category. The incredible part of the recipe is that it’s made with leftovers and simple pantry ingredients. And…these two combined bring big flavor with just a little bit of work, and it’s all done in the slow cooker!
Ingredients For Ham And White Bean Soup
- Dried Great Northern Beans or White Navy Beans – no need to soak or pre-cook beans for this recipe.
- Cooked Ham – I like to use leftover Brown Sugar Mustard Ham.
- Chicken Broth – or chicken stock.
- Carrots – washed, cut into round. You can also add celery.
- Onion – chopped, Garlic Cloves – minced.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, Dried Thyme (oregano, parsley, or bay leaf can also be used,) Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes (this combination is also used for Roasted Cabbage Soup.)
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and measurements.
What Type Of Ham Do You Use For White Bean And Ham Soup?
One of the best things about this recipe is that it uses up leftover holiday ham. I love turning Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham or Honey Baked Ham into a second main dish like this delicious soup. My tip is to pull the ham off the bone and chop it for the soup. You can also add the whole leftover ham bone to the crock pot if you want.
If leftovers are unavailable, you can use ham steak or a ham hock. Both work great in this recipe.
How To Make Crock Pot Ham And White Bean Soup
- Place the beans, ham, stock, and water in the Crock Pot.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and cook until tender. Add the salt, pepper and thyme. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add all ingredients to the Crock Pot. Place the lid on and set to cook on LOW/7-8 HOURS or on HIGH/6 HOURS.
- When done, I like to serve it hot with a dollop of sour cream and hot sauce.
People Often Ask
Start by sorting through the beans and picking out any that do not have a uniform shape or any pebbles. Next, rinse the beans and add them to the soup.
Yes, you can. This white bean and ham soup with canned beans is easy and inexpensive. Make sure to drain and rinse the beans before using.
You can thicken the soup by mashing some of the beans and carrots with a potato masher for a creamy texture. You can also remove about a cup of the ingredients, blend with an immersion blender, and then stir back into the soup to add thickness.
Storage And Reheating Tips
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop until it is warmed through.
This soup makes a terrific make-ahead freezer meal. Store the soup in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge, reheat in the Crock Pot or on the stovetop, then serve.
What To Serve With Ham And Bean Soup
Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve this wholesome, comforting slow cooker soup recipe:
- Salads: Tomato Cucumber Salad, Everyday Green Salad, Spinach Pear Fall Salad, Fresh Tomato Salad
- Bread: Green Chili Cheese Cornbread, Creamed Corn Cornbread Muffins, Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls, Pepperoni Cheese Pull-Apart Bread, Easy Beer Bread.
- Toppings: Pickled Red Onions, Avocado Salsa, Pickled Corn
More Soup Recipes To Try
If you tried this Slow Cooker Ham And White Bean Soup Recipe or any other recipe, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the comments below. Thanks!
- 1 bag dried great Northern beans or white navy beans I use Goya brand
- 2 cups chopped ham (leftover or deli sliced)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion – chopped
- 2 carrots – chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cloves garlic – grated I use a microplane
- Place beans, ham, stock and water in crockpot.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Add onions, carrots, garlic and cook until tender. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add all ingredients to crock pot. Place lid on and set to cook on LOW/7-8 HOURS, or on HIGH/6 HOURS.
- When done, I like to serve with a dollop of sour cream and hot sauce.
- Store leftover soup in an airtight in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop until it is warmed through.
- This soup makes a terrific make-ahead freezer meal. Store the soup in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge, reheat in the Crock Pot or on the stove top then serve.
- You can thicken the soup by mashing some of the beans and carrots with a potato masher for a creamy texture. You can also remove about a cup of the ingredients, blend with an immersion blender, and then stir back into the soup to add thickness.
Want To Know More About Slow Cooking?
If you are new to cooking with a Crock Pot or just don’t know where to start, I’ve got something to help. I’ve put together a helpful guide with tips and recipes to get you using a slow cooker like a pro!